Reseal rear end for slight leak or just live with it?

Romans8:28

Established Member
Like the title asks.......

I have a very small leak and I am debating whether or not to have Ford fix it (under warranty)........ I would hate to have it end up leaking even worse. It seems like the reseals leak again (even sooner and worse) than the factory seal. I thought I had it "fixed" when I used ultra-flange 2 sealant on the outside, but a tiny bit is seeping through. I would guess less than a drop a week.

I wish someone would find a real fix to the issue of leaking terminator differential covers

dougwg

Established Member
What was my comment in your other thread tittled Honda "Ultra Flange II" is GREAT at stoping differential leaks

oh yeah... I found it...

dougwg said:
fock Honduh!

BlownShift

Rex Kramer -Danger Seeker
Established Member
fix = ta31 sealant, clean surfaces, uncracked unwarped cover and a BF brace

smearing sealant on the outside is something you do to hide a leak to sell a car, not fix it

it will have to be resealed properly... trust them, take it in and hope the car doesn't come back with missing parts or smashed up or it's a DIY job

Established Member
dougwg said:
What was my comment in your other thread tittled Honda "Ultra Flange II" is GREAT at stoping differential leaks

oh yeah... I found it...

Thanks for the "help".......

I understood then (and now) that the ultra seal was only a "band aid" and I stated just that, for what it is worth the sealant did prevent any additional leakage for a couple months.

I installed the BF brace two years ago (long before I had any leak), and I don't abuse the car. I suppose the factory seal is destined to leak no matter what.

PS: sorry for being terse, but it's frustrating trying to figure out the best thing to do. I hate trusting work to dealers you don't know

Last edited:

midwestcobra03

Established Member
My rear end is leaking on my 03. When I checked it out noticed a small crack even with my steeda irs cover brace. Running stock tires with mabye 450rwhp. Never lauched it.

BlownShift

Established Member
Romans8:28 said:
Thanks for the "help".......

I understood then (and now) that the ultra seal was only a "band aid" and I stated just that, for what it is worth the sealant did prevent any additional leakage for a couple months.

I installed the BF brace two years ago (long before I had any leak), and I don't abuse the car. I suppose the factory seal is destined to leak no matter what.

PS: sorry for being terse, but it's frustrating trying to figure out the best thing to do. I hate trusting work to dealers you don't know

is that your daily driver? if not, I would just take the time and do it myself..
the dealers around here hire all the flunkees that got fired from jiffy lube.. I wouldn't trust any of them to clean my dead cat's litter pan..

I would check for hairline fractures and make sure the mating surfaces are true... clean the surfaces up spotless and reseal it yourself.. think about gears or rebuilding the diff while you're in there

BlownShift

Established Member
unless you want to try resealing it without dropping the pumpkin... I've never tried it... sometimes it takes longer when trying to take shortcuts.... maybe it is quicker.... try it

dougwg

Established Member
Roman, don't mind me, I just like saying "honduh"

I always tell people when I'm asked;

If your diff is leaking, re-seal it first and install the brace.

If it leaked the diff fluid has already attacked the sealant and turned it to mush. When you do the re-seal you see what I mean.

Last edited:

Established Member
dougwg said:
Roman, don't mind me, I just like saying "honduh"

I always tell people when I'm asked;

If your diff is leaking, re-seal it first and install the brace.

If it leaked the diff fluid has already attacked the sealant and turned it to mush. When you do the re-seal you see what I mean.

Thanks Doug......... don't mind me either, I just hate getting tied up with dealers and it stresses me out

It's such a funny situation, part of me wants to avoid the dealer route all together and either fix in myself (or trusted/know mechanic) or just leave it alone for now anyway. The other part of me says hey it's under warranty and it's Ford's responsibility to fix on their dime. I also hate to eat an expense or use up my own time when something is under warranty.

I think I have decided to let the local dealer have a try at correcting the leak. Hopefully they will agree to use the TA-31 sealant and take the time to do it "right".

No matter what, I wish there was a better way to seal these covers considering the pain factor involved with fixing the leaks that are almost bound to happen sooner or later.

Wish me luck.............

BlownShift

Established Member
Try this... post in the regional section and Terminator Talk about dealers in your area and see if anyone can suggest a good one. When I needed my head replaced, I had to go to a different state to get it done right. The two dealers right by me have no business working on cars and I didn't know anything about the other ones closer. The one out of state was recommended and the mechanic did a good job and even put my LDC cooling mod on for me.

dougwg

Established Member
If it were me, I would do the re-seal myself. All it will cost is the money for the TA31, and time on your part.

It's a decision only you can make.

I hate dealers too. If you do take it in to the dealers I would STAY AND WATCH THEM LIKE A HAWK. I trust dealers as far as I could throw a 3/4 ton pickup truck, and that ain't far.

silvercoffin

Established Member
uhhh

I had it resealed twice before finally getting the IRS brace. Since then 2 seasons of almost weekly drag racing and no leak at all.

I did get a on and off leak which ended up being the Eaton rear i had installed. Went back to a lousy ford diff and no leak....but its easy to get one wheel peel again....:cuss:

OmahaStang

Established Member
reseal

I've posted on this before for it occured to me too. I took mine into the dealer last year and I haven't had a problem since then. I haven't however driven the car that much though either. I'm going to have an IRS brace on there very very soon too though.

If I were you I would have the dealer do it for its covered under warranty and not to mention if it starts leaking again have them do it again! Also since it's SVT vehicle they need to provide you with a loaner car too. (rental usually)

Me I put it onto the dealership give them the headache of dealing with it.

cobra23

Established Member
Leak

I had a small leak at 33K miles. Or I thought it was small until I added a quart of gear oil.

Took it to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty. The cover was warped.

No problems since.

Users who are viewing this thread