Reset air bag light after seat swap?

Art Vandelay

Established Member
So I installed a used pair of GT350 Recaros in my ‘16 Tech pack and now the yellow air bag light stays on. (The driver side air bag did deploy and it was replaced)

The connector seemed to snap in cleanly on the both seats.

My OBD reader doesn’t detect any codes.

I tried battery disconnect/connect.

Dealership should be able to clear/reset it I hope?

Last edited:

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
So I installed a used pair of GT350 Recaros in my ‘16 Tech pack and now the yellow air bag light stays on. (The driver side air bag did deploy and it was replaced)

The connector seemed to snap in cleanly on the both seats.

My OBD reader doesn’t detect any codes.

I tried battery disconnect/connect.

Dealership should be able to clear/reset it I hope?
In a modern Ford, everything is connected to everything else. The tech pack seats have a bunch of electrical connections that the Recaro's don't have. Now, I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a seat control module in there somewhere that's noticed that the electric seats are missing, so it's told the airbag module that the car has no front seats. That got the airbag module wondering what to do, so it threw a code and now it's waiting for humans to sort it out.

There's probably a setting in the BCM that has to be changed to tell the car that it doesn't have electrically controllable seats.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
I went over the service manual and the only direct link from the seats to the Restraints Control Module is the two seat position sensors on the bottom of the seat. They run against a rail on the frame and they tell the RCM how far the seats are from the airbags. If they're not connected and working, then you'll get a RCM error.

My94GT

Established Member
If the bag blew you’ll likely at the very least need to replace the airbag control module, and what ever impact sensor led it to deploy.

Users who are viewing this thread