Resonators with o/r h pipe and borla stingers

thebearded1_der

Acquired a terminator about a year ago and I’m looking to change up the exhaust. Right now it’s stock headers, Mac o/r h pipe and borla stinger cat-back. This setup sounds good except for certain rpm’s it’s very “clappy” like a straight piped truck. It also drones very badly at highway speed. I was thinking about adding some dynomax race bullets to the h pipe and wondering if anyone else had done something similar and if so, did it help and how does it sound? Thanks in advance

thebearded1_der

Personally, I would just swap the mid pipe for a catted x-pipe especially with the Borla stingers. That’s what I currently run but I may go to an off-road x pipe in the future to make it a little louder. I’m not a huge fan of stingers and a h pipe.
I’m making over 600rwhp so the cats would just get destroyed unless I got GESI cats and I really would rather not drop 2 grand on a midpipe.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I think a X would help with your issue. Unfortunately, off road X pipes are hard to find but @LARperformance might make one.

Believe it or not, my longtubes helped my exhaust tone a lot. Much more refined now, less raspy, no more brap-brap at certain rpm’s (LT, X, Sringers) compared to before (stock manifolds, X, stingers).

I don’t think a lot of folks have welded in resonators due to space. Cats are a lot more reasonable to fit on our cars than larger resonators.

robvas

Established Member
Stock manifolds ORX and stingers, mine sounds like a redneck truck at part throttle under load

Had a similar setup on my last car, made the same crappy sounds, so I put FlowFX oval mufflers on it. Didn't really help, so I went to a catted H and that fixed it.

I wanted to try adding a small bullet muffler on each side in the mid-pipe but I don't know if a shop that could do it for a decent price and so decent work. Maybe my excuse to buy a welder...

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm over 700 and have been running Bassani cats for years with no problem. I'm old so I wouldn't run an O/R anything with Stingers.

But yeah, more than likely the weird sound your hearing is from the H pipe. I ran a stock H with Stingers for a bit to get through smog. It didn't sound bad, but there was a weird tone to it. Hard to describe, but if you were in the car you heard it.

thebearded1_der

I'm over 700 and have been running Bassani cats for years with no problem. I'm old so I wouldn't run an O/R anything with Stingers.

But yeah, more than likely the weird sound your hearing is from the H pipe. I ran a stock H with Stingers for a bit to get through smog. It didn't sound bad, but there was a weird tone to it. Hard to describe, but if you were in the car you heard it.
I’m gonna give a bassani catted x a try. Do you have any recent video clips? All the ones I can find on YouTube are from 10+ years ago and the audio is garbage

robvas

Established Member
Bassani part # 46033 looks like the right one

May have to save up a couple bucks to order one

BLK03SVT24

Established Member
I’m gonna give a bassani catted x a try. Do you have any recent video clips? All the ones I can find on YouTube are from 10+ years ago and the audio is garbage
+1 on this. Had to replace my flowmasters recently cause the chamber internals were falling apart after 10 years. Got stingers and paired them with my Mac o/r h like you did and hated it. Thought it sounded like absolute garbage.

Went with Basanni catted x and has a great tone. Not to loud when cruising but wakes up when in wot. It's also nice not having a CEL anymore after adding cats. I'll try to get a video for you next time I take the car out.

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I put resonators (aka 12" long 2.5" cherry bombs) in a mac prochamber mid pipe. Ran several mufflers;
Flowmaster
Stingers
magnapacks
Magnaflow oval

They don't do a whole lot, suggest more muffler to get rid of raps/blattyness.

thebearded1_der

I put resonators (aka 12" long 2.5" cherry bombs) in a mac prochamber mid pipe. Ran several mufflers;
Flowmaster
Stingers
magnapacks
Magnaflow oval

They don't do a whole lot, suggest more muffler to get rid of raps/blattyness.
I should’ve updated this thread. I ended up switching to a magnaflow cat back and it worked great

Users who are viewing this thread