Resoring a 1993 Ex-California Highway Patrol Mustang

SparkSVT

Established Member
Just thought I would share the progress on my restoration project. Its getting closer to the end. I still need to remove, rebuild, and reinstall the motor and detail the engine bay. I may wait until winter for that as the car runs well as it sits. I still also have to install the emergency lights in the back package shelf and the shotgun. I bought the car and had it shipped from Ca. and it served in the Santa Cruz Area Office of the CHP under the unit number 5305. Click the link for all the photos of the project as it went. Dont mind the date on the photos, the year is set to 2007 :roll:

Thats one of my co-workers in the pic checking it out.

www.fotki.com/sparksvt

4-2-2008014.jpg

4-2-2008007.jpg

Last edited:

boosted306

Established Member
I would love to own one. I would only restore the exterior though. I would have to say that the rest of the car would be a little more serious. Maybe 460 BBF with a turbo.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
VERY nice!

Prolly would not pass Comunistfornia's emmisions now....

I like it!

my92gt

Established Member
I want one so bad!!!! out of curiosity how much will a old ssp vehicle cost???? doesnt matter about what state it comes from!!!

SparkSVT

Established Member
Would I be allowed to build a Fox like this or would I have to be a LEO? I have always wanted one of those SSP Foxes!

-Mike
DO IT MIKE!
No you do not have to be a LEO but you can not drive a marked police car on the streets. If your serious go over to sspmustang.org or specialservicemustang.net and join the forums. The guys will be happy to answer your questions. The guys who are on the forums including me love to see people restore and preserve the SSP Mustangs rather than mod and race them. They are a unique part of the Mustang's history!!!!

-CHRIS

SparkSVT

Established Member
yep...drove it for 4 years then moved on to the crown vic
i retired from FHP in early 2000 love that little thing:beer:

Do you have any pictures of FHP Mustangs in service from when you worked? I would love to add them to the image gallerys on our sites ( sspmustang.org specialservicemustang.net) If you have any will you PLEASE send them to me????

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
SparkSVT, your car is sooo sweet! Awesome work on the resto. I'd love to see a pic with your car pulling over a '93 Cobra or Fox body Saleen. That would be too cool! Anyway, nice job.

SparkSVT

Established Member
SparkSVT, your car is sooo sweet! Awesome work on the resto. I'd love to see a pic with your car pulling over a '93 Cobra or Fox body Saleen. That would be too cool! Anyway, nice job.

Funny thing is I sold a beautiful red 1993 Cobra that only had 15k miles ( alot of those 15k miles could be measured in 1/4 mile incriments:-D) on it to do this project. The cobra was as new but unfortunatley the engine blew up when I had a Vortech S Trim put on it. (Thanks Nitrous Pete)

I sold the cobra as a roller with the engine block for about 10k I think.

SRV1

Established Member
DO IT MIKE!
No you do not have to be a LEO but you can not drive a marked police car on the streets. If your serious go over to sspmustang.org or specialservicemustang.net and join the forums. The guys will be happy to answer your questions. The guys who are on the forums including me love to see people restore and preserve the SSP Mustangs rather than mod and race them. They are a unique part of the Mustang's history!!!!

-CHRIS

I bet he can. All emergency lights have to be covered and he can cover all the other markings with a vinyl magnet decal. Also to cover his butt he can also get a magnet to say "not in service". As long as it doesn't say "police" or logos bearing emergency services I believe he is totally legal. But the only purpose for all this is so he can drive it to and from car shows. I also believe the paint job is not illegal in Illinois for being black and white.

Technically can you drive it when your not on the clock?

Nice car BTW!!!

James

Users who are viewing this thread