Resurecting my 93 Cobra!

marco93cobra

Established Member
Well, here is where it all starts. Yesterday, I started on getting ready to pull the motor from my 93 Cobra. I got the car 6 years ago, preping it for a real street racer. 700hp, but I started racing bikes, bought a house, started a family, and the cobra is still in the same condition that it was years ago. Well, tonight the motor comes out!!!!! I am going to stick the Ford Racing M-6007-XE3M crate motor in it with the cobra intake and the 5 speed. I am going to get it back on the road and back into the public to enjoy the car for what it is. I am extremly excited. I pulled the cover off it of last night and I about cryed, it is soooo dirty.:nonono: I keep my stuff extremly clean and to see it like that , man, but it will all buff right out.
Here are some pics of it when I went out there to remove the cover. The other is the engine that I am pulling out and the other is what the car looked liked when I bought it.:rockon:
th_cobrashop.jpg

th_93cobramotor.jpg

th_P5030287.jpg

th_P5030278.jpg

I will post up the progress as it happens!

red95gts

Established Member
Congrats. I can certainly relate. About a year ago, I had my 93 and a 91 coupe with a turbo. The turbo car was fun, but the time and money involved in the upkeep was just more than I wanted to deal with. Like you, I'm in my 30s, have 4 kids, full-time job, etc. I parted the turbo car out and now just have the Cobra, which has mild mods

I thought I would miss the power of the turbo car, but in reality I don't. The 93 is fun to drive and even though it's 235 fwhp is anemic by today's standards - I still enjoy driving it. I've considered a SC-trim Vortech for the car, but honestly don't even know if I'll do that.

Where in OK are you? I'm originally from Norman, but left there about 15 yrs ago. One of these days I'll get out of this cesspool they call Houston and get back "home." :)

Best of Luck!

cobra-bit

Sacrilegious
Established Member
One of these days I'll get out of this cesspool they call Houston and get back "home."

cesspool....ouch!

marco: your car looks great, I'm in the same boat as you I'm itching to drive her. So how long do you think your car will be down? Any tips on pulling the motor...its what i have planned for this weekend.

thx

Last edited:

buddha93

Established Member
Fun stuff, glad you decided to keep the car. Should be a quick swap. You'll spend more time with the details.

Cobra-bit. It's a straight forward process. I've taken them out and put them in by myself many a time. Just make sure everything is unhooked. It's helpful to have the hood off and out of the way too. And unless you have the car waay off the ground, a good engine puller, and a few guys, just yank the tranny before you pull the engine.

I'll be putting mine back in this weekend, more then likely alone........lol!

WillyB93

Established Member
Sooo good luck with the motor swap!! Buddha93 no more oil change mishapps and enjoy, what automaker did you work for????

buddha93

Established Member
Sooo good luck with the motor swap!! Buddha93 no more oil change mishapps and enjoy, what automaker did you work for????

LOL! Ya thanks. I pulled all the mains off and every damn bearing looked brand flippin' new. I even pulled a few rod caps with the same findings, and went so far as to pull a head. Nothing. I'm not complaining trust me, just a little befuddled as to what I heard. I'm hoping it was just my paranoid imagination. We'll see.

I did the Chrysler thing for 14 years. Would have hung around to the end, but things just got plain ugly (like every other sector in this economy it seems) and got the hell out.

WillyB93

Established Member
I don't blame you on that, If you worked in Fenton, MO Its gone now Isn't it???? Hopefully for both guys it smooth sailing on the installs.

buddha93

Established Member
I don't blame you on that, If you worked in Fenton, MO Its gone now Isn't it???? Hopefully for both guys it smooth sailing on the installs.

Yep, I worked in the van plant. The truck plant was 100 feet from that. Lots of guys thought it would reopen, but I told them things were different this time. Now there is a huge for sale banner hanging from it.:nonono:

I know a few guys ended up down in your neck of the woods, Kokomo anyway. Some are in Belvidere Illinios at the Caliber plant, and plenty more scattered here and there.

marco93cobra

Established Member
Congrats. I can certainly relate. About a year ago, I had my 93 and a 91 coupe with a turbo. The turbo car was fun, but the time and money involved in the upkeep was just more than I wanted to deal with. Like you, I'm in my 30s, have 4 kids, full-time job, etc. I parted the turbo car out and now just have the Cobra, which has mild mods

I thought I would miss the power of the turbo car, but in reality I don't. The 93 is fun to drive and even though it's 235 fwhp is anemic by today's standards - I still enjoy driving it. I've considered a SC-trim Vortech for the car, but honestly don't even know if I'll do that.

Where in OK are you? I'm originally from Norman, but left there about 15 yrs ago. One of these days I'll get out of this cesspool they call Houston and get back "home." :)

Best of Luck!

Thanks, I know that I am going to miss the sound of the motor, it would turn heads everywhere and I got compliments all the time. Well, not I am going to go with the car and not the motor. I honestly dont think that I am going to miss the engine. It will be very nice.

I am located in West Edmond around the DeerCreek area. We thought about moving to Tx two years ago, but decided to stick around Ok. I like it, the change would have been nice, but this is home.

marco93cobra

Established Member
cesspool....ouch!

marco: your car looks great, I'm in the same boat as you I'm itching to drive her. So how long do you think your car will be down? Any tips on pulling the motor...its what i have planned for this weekend.

thx

Thanks!
As far as how long the car will be down, I hope not that long, I would like to get her out on a couple of weekends this year. Once I get all the parts, I dont think it will be over a month (at least that is the plans, but you know how that can change.) Tips on pulling the motor, well, not really, make sure that you remember where everything goes. I have pulled them out too many times on other mustangs and it isnt really anything anymore. I can look at a bolt and tell you where it goes. Other than that, good luck, take pictures and get some baggies and label them as you take stuff off so that you dont get leftovers.

red95gts

Established Member
Thanks, I know that I am going to miss the sound of the motor, it would turn heads everywhere and I got compliments all the time. Well, not I am going to go with the car and not the motor. I honestly dont think that I am going to miss the engine. It will be very nice.

Bah...put some exhaust on the car and it'll still turn heads. Not many cars on the road today sound like a pushrod 5.0L... :)

I am located in West Edmond around the DeerCreek area. We thought about moving to Tx two years ago, but decided to stick around Ok. I like it, the change would have been nice, but this is home.

That's a nice area. My Dad lives in Coffee Creek and works by Lake Hefner, so I'm pretty familiar with that side of town. If we were to move back, I think we'd end up on the North side of OKC somewhere...

WillyB93

Established Member
Buddha93 Its a dam shame the majority of that work is done in Canada now nice bailout from Chrysler huh. Kokomo is about 45 minutes from me, I've been to both Fenton, Mo and Belvidere, IL plants, well be glad you got what you got when you did then!!!!!

buddha93

Established Member
Damn right! I feel like I'm very fortunate in these times. Most people get a pink slip and walked out the door. I feel like I won the lottery.

I've been to the Windsor plant, and they don't build any better product then what we do. Hell, they benchmarked a lot of stuff from our plant.

At one point in time, there were over 6000 employees in the two plants, not to mention all the tier parts plants and the Cassin's auto carriers. Now it's all gone.:nonono:

The only game in town now is GM with their fullsized vans.

WillyB93

Established Member
Yea in Wentzville, Mo but they'll probably move that one eventually and combine it to another plant like they've done with the truck plant, malibu plant in Kansas City, Mo and the s u v plant in Lansing, MI.

marco93cobra

Established Member
:banana:

Well, here is an update:
New Ford crate motor, new king cobra clutch, ford motorsport flywheel, motorsport everything really. Z trans, and the cobra intake sitting on top.

Assembled everything for the last week and the wife and a buddy helped me drop in the new engine!!

I now have everything bolted up under the car minus the exhaust.

Now, I just have to find where I hid all the old wires and cut them back down and make it look pretty. Hopefully, within a couple of months it will be ready!

th_photo26.jpg

th_photo43.jpg

th_cobragettingready.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread