Retreads - Anyone Running'em On Their DD?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I just did lots of reading and pulled the trigger on some for the lil' Tow Piglet from treadwright.com

Just curious if anyone out there has experience with them. Quite a few of the Jeep guys have and all have reported positive results.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
what exactly is a retread? untill someone can give me details in my mind i'm thinking of a used tire that has been shaved in some parts to make it look like it has more tread, ya know.....the crap they do to monster truck tires

4GTNSVT

Hatin' In My Free Time
Established Member
Like you said alot of jeep guys run them and a few guys in the jeep club I belong to run them and have had no issues with them. I have read alot more positive reviews on them then negitive ones.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
Saw this a few weeks ago on my favorite show ever, "How It's Made".

If anyone else is curious about the process.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWmTH5Mzao"]YouTube- how its made s5 ep4- remoulded tires[/ame]

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I would not run retreads... JMO.

Like I said before ^

No matter what you read or have experienced they are not as good as new tires. They are less expensive and many trucks use them because of that. The only benefit to using retreads is saving money (sometimes not that much). The trade off is the lack of safety. Have you ever been alongside a truck when his tire seperates? It does happen, not to all retreads, but to some. For a daily driver I wouldn't feel safe doing 70 on the freeway running retreads... again just my opinion.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
I ran a set over 15 years ago on a 71 cutlass. They didn't do so well after a couple of burnouts, they started separating.

ririck

Schrute Farms Beets
Established Member
Retreads are those big strips of tire you see tons of laying on the side of the interstat everytime you travel on it. /Thread.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
what exactly is a retread? untill someone can give me details in my mind i'm thinking of a used tire that has been shaved in some parts to make it look like it has more tread, ya know.....the crap they do to monster truck tires

You are thinking of regrooved tires. We have ran recaps on our trailers before, but they were fresh carcasses. Air pressure is critical on otr tires, that is why you see them blow out 90% of the time. Is it worth it to run them on my DD. No.

Users who are viewing this thread