(retune with a 2# lower?) Question for the masses...

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
So... I have a 2.65" upper on my car and it made 15psi at sea level and was tuned by Hermann accordingly... It's getting to the point where I need to service the inner belt, and while doing so I was going to have to pull the pulley cage of course... here's the deal. I now live at 4800 ft altitude and only see 12-13psi up here. If I were to replace the stock cage with a 2lb Metco Kit, I should be alright WITHOUT a retune right? It would only bring boost up by 1-2 psi which would still be within the threshold it was tuned at... Anyway, if I'm going to have to fight that stock lower I figure I might as well just dump the cage and keep a stock sized or 2lb lower ring on it to ease service of that inner belt for the future... Alright guys, what's the opinions?

BBCOBRA

Established Member
you might be ok but I'd check it anyway. I had to add a mafia and a bap when I added the 2# lower to mine.

Konaboss302

Funtime!!!
Established Member
I've already got a mafia and BAP on the car, im just in northern Montana and theres no tuners remotely close to me...

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I should be alright WITHOUT a retune right?

Keep in mind that boost is just a measure of restriction. At a minimum, you need to check your A/F ratio. It's very cheap in comparison to the alternative. The last thing you want it to run 15psi with an A/F that is really lean. You'll have a lot more to worry about than getting a tune.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
That is one reason I got a wide band kit for mine. I was using a mail order tune and also I could monitor it any time I want. You can data log with a sct tuner. More money to invest but it really helps. You can pick one up used at a decent price if you look around.

Users who are viewing this thread