Returnless Fuel System

01yellercobra

Established Member
No torco. 16 degrees of timing, 16 psi and a 5.3L engine with cams. Pretty soft tune on it to keep it together.
That 5.3 makes a difference. I made 500rwhp on a mustang dyno with a D1 at 12psi and 12 degrees of timing.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
That 5.3 makes a difference. I made 500rwhp on a mustang dyno with a D1 at 12psi and 12 degrees of timing.

Nice. A lot of untapped potential there! I guess I take back what I said earlier. The 5.3L is the best mod I did to the car. Return system and WOT box would be second.

Fooj

Established Member
It can be done returnless.....but in this day n age, a full return system is usually more cost effective and more tuners prefer it.

Having said that, my car has been returnless and at 714 wheel on E85 since 2009. And that's with the "old" GT supercar pumps that weren't even rated for ethanol. -8 feed, custom dual fpdm, factory rails, bap, upgraded wiring, fms 80s, stock maf w/mafia. Has run flawless for OVER TEN years. Pretty much 85% fpdc and 88% inj DC. Still fires first time every time and sits with E85 for months at a time.

Major props to 04sleeper for setting the bar. Been copied many times across the ford world.

So is the weak link after upgrading the pumps and injectors just the feed line? I have never setup a return style fuel system but im justing trying to figure out the weak links. I have a KB 2.8 only running at like 16 psi, like to switch on over to Corn and pump more boost. Since corn is safer than 93oct im just trying to see if its possible to do so with just a pump and injector upgrade and not try to run a whole new fuel setup

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member
So is the weak link after upgrading the pumps and injectors just the feed line? I have never setup a return style fuel system but im justing trying to figure out the weak links. I have a KB 2.8 only running at like 16 psi, like to switch on over to Corn and pump more boost. Since corn is safer than 93oct im just trying to see if its possible to do so with just a pump and injector upgrade and not try to run a whole new fuel setup

Yes. I would say the stock 5/16" feed line and stock filter would be the weak link after pumps and injectors. I went from 96% FPDC with GT pumps, stock feed line and stock fuel rail down to 84% FPDC by just switching to a -8 AN feed line. That was at 650RWHP on pump gas. Figure 30-35% more fuel to make same power on E85 there was no way I would have been able to run it at that level, even with a boost a pump. The volume just isn't there with that small of a feed line. If you upgrade just your feed line it will already be done if you go return down the road. The stock rails will be fine as long as you have a good reservoir (big fuel line) behind them. This is based off my experience and set ups over the years.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

I was going to mention something about the 5.3 also. there's no replacement for displacement. Thats where the power is coming from on conservative everything else.

03' White Snake

Established Member
This is how I ran my returnless setup with Improved GT pumps for years without issue, supported over 600 hp on 93.

Inkedfuel system_LI.jpg

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
Is anyone else with a high hp return-less system getting a hesitation when shifting? If I shift like I’m trying to bang the gears, I’m good, but when its a little slower, I get a hesitation for a split second then the power comes back.

olympic

Established Member
Has the PPRV been deleted? It can cause a drop in fuel pressure between shifts on our cars. Do forum or Google search on "cobra pprv delete", lots of info out there.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Is anyone else with a high hp return-less system getting a hesitation when shifting? If I shift like I’m trying to bang the gears, I’m good, but when its a little slower, I get a hesitation for a split second then the power comes back.

same thing happened to me. I did pprv delete and it did nothing. I put a return system in and it never happened again.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It could also be a tune issue. Weirdly enough I had it happen when my 01 was N/A even though my fuel system was set up for a blower. Had to make some adjustments to fix it.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
same thing happened to me. I did pprv delete and it did nothing. I put a return system in and it never happened again.

Yup PPRV has been deleted for a while and that did seem to help initially, when I was on 93 and only a SVT Focus pump. After adding a BAP and DW340 fuel pump for e85, it happens all the time. This is on an 2002 GT with a KB. Don't really want to mod the car any further so Ill live with it until I decide to go return or sell the car.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

It's difficult to say with certainty......but there's one way to find out: upgrade the feed line. You're at 16psi right now, so try that first with E85, check your duty cycles.....if you have headroom, swap the pulley and go for 18.

Honestly, I'd rather run 16-18psi on corn than 19psi on pump gas/torco. You can let her rip 20+ on corn later down the road once the funds are available to go full return. Lower boost corn won't be a joke at all once you see what all that extra timing does on ethanol. Way snappier low and mid range if the tuner knows what they're doing with E85. Much more fun street light to street light. And you still have the ultra safety margin of the corn brew.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yup PPRV has been deleted for a while and that did seem to help initially, when I was on 93 and only a SVT Focus pump. After adding a BAP and DW340 fuel pump for e85, it happens all the time. This is on an 2002 GT with a KB. Don't really want to mod the car any further so Ill live with it until I decide to go return or sell the car.
Talk to your tuner. He should be able to fix it. You shouldn't have to live with an issue like this.

Fooj

Established Member
It's difficult to say with certainty......but there's one way to find out: upgrade the feed line. You're at 16psi right now, so try that first with E85, check your duty cycles.....if you have headroom, swap the pulley and go for 18.

Honestly, I'd rather run 16-18psi on corn than 19psi on pump gas/torco. You can let her rip 20+ on corn later down the road once the funds are available to go full return. Lower boost corn won't be a joke at all once you see what all that extra timing does on ethanol. Way snappier low and mid range if the tuner knows what they're doing with E85. Much more fun street light to street light. And you still have the ultra safety margin of the corn brew.

Reason i want to run more boost is people were telling me with my KB 2.8 being at 16psi is too low that i should run the 2.8 at like 19-20psi

T3RM1N8R_18

Established Member
I had my tuner do the attached which seemed to help but it's not gone. He recommended going to return to resolve this issue totally.

Attachments

• cobra hesitation.PNG
    cobra hesitation.PNG
    86.3 KB · Views: 140

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Reason i want to run more boost is people were telling me with my KB 2.8 being at 16psi is too low that i should run the 2.8 at like 19-20psi

Oh for sure that's scenario A......but you're on the fence right now because you don't want to go full return $$$ at the moment and are trying to stretch out the returnless capability with minimal expense. That leaves you in a conundrum and you can only go so far by throwing a couple parts at it and run E85 lower boost.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member

Not on mine. I'm high boost (22psi), E85 and returnless.....no hesitation at all on any shift or throttle position. 04sleeper tuned.

KING_Asp

MAGA in a COBRA
Established Member

The way I see it is: no boost is to low. It's more than the atmosphere can provide you so it's ALL good. Yeah the 2.8L will be more in its efficiency range at 19-20 psi but then you have all the other parts and mods to go with it which is mo' money. If you have the fuel and intake tract for it, let it rip.

Users who are viewing this thread