Rev Limiter

Unrealford

Established Member
I wouldn't recommend it. It's one of the main reason for engine failures.
Over reving.
It's not worth it, at least IMO

2012 with TVS, JLT123, VMP 67MM, 2.4 PULLEY

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Some tuners will leave that option open to the customer, i would leave it set at 6300-6500 unless you don't mind a window in the block.

SirShaun

Established Member
Depending on what year model GT500, you have, it may not be beneficial to even up the rev limiter.

I want to say 2007-2010s (Maybe even 2007-2012s) are well out of their power band by 6500rpm. You would actually be slower by revving the car that high as the cams quit making power.

I think they changed the cams in either 2011 or the 2013s, where you could benefit from a 6500 rev limiter.

It's most likely not worth it unless you have aftermarket cams. Someone with more knowledge can fill in the years which got the cam upgrade.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Depending on what year model GT500, you have, it may not be beneficial to even up the rev limiter.

I want to say 2007-2010s (Maybe even 2007-2012s) are well out of their power band by 6500rpm. You would actually be slower by revving the car that high as the cams quit making power.

I think they changed the cams in either 2011 or the 2013s, where you could benefit from a 6500 rev limiter.

It's most likely not worth it unless you have aftermarket cams. Someone with more knowledge can fill in the years which got the cam upgrade.

Must be an older car thing. Mine, along with all the other graphs I've seen, is still climbing when it hits the [stock] rev limiter. On topic, yes the rev limit can be adjusted with the handheld. I actually reduced mine to 6100. I want no excess risks of blowing the block.

Last edited:

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
What was stock on the 07-09's, 6250? Mines set at 6500. Isn't bouncing off the rev limiter kind of bad? I had mine raised so I wouldn't hit the limiter. I shift around 6200-6400

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
What was stock on the 07-09's, 6250? Mines set at 6500. Isn't bouncing off the rev limiter kind of bad? ...

Not as bad as over-revving the engine. Word on the street is the stock rods don't like revs, especially under high boost. As long as you don't pull a HYBRED on a regular basis, hitting the rev limiter isn't serious.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Must be an older car thing. Mine, along with all the other graphs I've seen, is still climbing when it hits the [stock] rev limiter. On topic, yes the rev limit can be adjusted with the handheld. I actually reduced mine to 6100. I want no excess risks of blowing the block.

Exactly, there is no 2007-12 GT500 that's out of breath at 6500. You may be out of fuel, out of rod capability, or whatever but it'll keep eating and making power beyond 6500. I'm not remotely saying anyone should do this, but I've routinely set my limiter at 6700 and shifted at 6500-6600 for almost 10 years on the stock long block. Again, it's my car and I took the risk. Would I suggest you do it? Nope. But will it make power up there? Absolutely.

As for you setting at 6100...relax. Good gas, frequent oil changes, and outstanding cooling are always the right stuff for a GT500, but your car's not gonna blow at the factory 6250 nor the 6500 we set.

bj

SirShaun

Established Member
Exactly, there is no 2007-12 GT500 that's out of breath at 6500. You may be out of fuel, out of rod capability, or whatever but it'll keep eating and making power beyond 6500. I'm not remotely saying anyone should do this, but I've routinely set my limiter at 6700 and shifted at 6500-6600 for almost 10 years on the stock long block. Again, it's my car and I took the risk. Would I suggest you do it? Nope. But will it make power up there? Absolutely.

As for you setting at 6100...relax. Good gas, frequent oil changes, and outstanding cooling are always the right stuff for a GT500, but your car's not gonna blow at the factory 6250 nor the 6500 we set.

bj

Thanks for the correction. I could of swore I read that somewhere. Good to know.

fullboogie

Established Member
To add two cents - set your rev limiter/shift light a couple hundred lower than you want to shift. If you datalog RPM's while at the track, you will be surprised to see that there's an extra two hundred RPM's or so compared to your shift light - it's just the reaction time from when you see/hear the shift indicator to when you actually shift. Obvious stuff, but thought I'd mention it.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

bj

Whew! Well that's certainly comforting to read, BJ! I keep my maintenance up and am pretty anal about where I get my gas, so I guess I'll bump it back up to 6500. I know the risk is all on me, but that's only 250 more revs than stock, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Plus, it's extremely rare that I actually even rev it out to red line. Despite all the mods I've done to my car, it's had quite an easy life so far.

fishpick

Established Member
Old thread - I know - but does changing the rev limit in the tune change the RPM that the cluster turns red?
If not - is there a way to change the cluster (like with a VCM2 and IDS?)

1st usa car

Established Member

bj

I guess, I can raise mine from the 6000 --- haha not that I will ever need to go to the limit in a race.... if I did it better not be on the streets around here.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Zombie thread! But since it's revived, I might as well add an update. I eventually raised my limit back up to 6500. I just recently got around to actually running it out that far. It was still pulling hella strong when I got there, and it sounded amazing!

To the thread reviver, no, changing the limit won't affect the shift light on the cluster. That is a separate option, and with the VMP tune that I have, it's not adjustable. I could adjust it with the FRPP Procal II tuner, but not with my SCT.

fishpick

Established Member
I could adjust it with the FRPP Procal II tuner, but not with my SCT.
Great info -

So - it's a "tune" parameter... not a VCM2/IDS parameter then? i.e. - I should not waste my time looking for a setting in IDS... or does the FRPP Procal II tuner do "some IDS things" since it's a Ford product?

Users who are viewing this thread