Review of Bullitt Fuel Door

ZXnVS

Established Member
In the spirit of my recent review of the MGW shifter handle, here are my impressions of the Bullitt fuel door.

I ordered the unit from Kar Kraft for $99.95. I was hoping to get some feedback on the new UPR door first, but I imagine it will be a while before there's any info on that, so for $50 less I decided not to wait. (For the record, I understand UPR will offer engraved logos such as Cobra and SVT in the future.)

The exterior finish on the unit was flawless, although there are many slight imperfections on the interior. The former is brushed, while the latter is polished to a gloss, and has the running pony logo.

Installation is a five-minute affair. The instructions say to use a #15 Torx, but both the original and new bolts were actually #20. The two rubber stops at 12 and 6 o'clock must be removed. Following the instructions, I attempted to use pliers and tore one. If you ever plan to install the original door, be very careful removing these. You might try prying with a rag-covered screwdriver while you pull at the same time.

The door is held with two plastic hooks on the left side and two bolts on the right. I was slightly concerned that it wouldn't be sturdy, but those fears proved unfounded. The entire unit is solidly in place, and the door spring is sufficient to avoid any vibration. Best of all, it looks great!

Unlike the MGW door, this one has no latch whatsoever, so I got the Ford locking gas cap, which is somewhat cheesy, but will keep anyone but a determined vandal from putting anything in my tank.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
Here's a pix of the MGW fuel door in chrome and black with the Cobra logo. They license the Cobra and SVT from Ford.

The door looks good on my white with black ragtop. It also "locks" the fuel supply.

MGW sells quality products.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by Petzuk

I agree. I've been extremely happy with everything I've ever purchased from them. For the fuel door, however, I thought the torx bolts in the Bullitt door looked better than the little "dimples" in the MGW unit. Just a matter of personal taste.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
They use the dimples to keep the cars aerodynamics clean vs the bolt heads....

You know how fast the '03s are.

Ha!!

:lol:

Blackcobra

Established Member
Locking gas cap?

If I'm not mistaken, ZXnVS has made a reference to a Ford locking gas cap for the 03 Cobra. Does anyone have details on that (maybe a part # or an on-line link)? Also, does anyone know of any other locking gas cap that fits the 03 Cobra?:??:

ZXnVS

Established Member
You can find it on www.fordaccessories.com, but they don't give part numbers. I got mine at the dealer, and the number on the box is FC-960. I'm not aware of any others, but if you can find one that fits you might give it a try, because the Ford unit isn't very confidence-inspiring.

Mowgli

Established Member
How so? Are you afraid it won't hold tank pressure? Or are you saying it won't really deter vandals?

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by Mowgli
How so? Are you afraid it won't hold tank pressure? Or are you saying it won't really deter vandals?

Overall the unit just strikes me as rather cheesy. The "lock" simply allows the top to rotate separately from the bottom, preventing removal of the cap. This would deter most vandals (I hope), but probably not someone who was really determined to dump something in your tank. Of course, if they're really determined and they couldn't get the cap off, they'd probably just smash your windshield, key your paint, and slash your tires. So I guess it doesn't really matter much.

ZXnVS

Established Member
They've got some cool doors. I thought Pro-Fit only made the electric model, and I didn't want to hassle with the wiring, but they've got doors with manual locks, too. Wish I had known that. I wonder if the installation requires any drilling or mods to the car, or if it just bolts in like the Bullitt unit did...

Of course, their manual locking model is $250, and the non-locking manual door is $150, so I probably still would have gone with the Bullitt door, personally.

Last edited:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by Petzuk
Here's a pix of the MGW fuel door in chrome and black with the Cobra logo. They license the Cobra and SVT from Ford.

The door looks good on my white with black ragtop. It also "locks" the fuel supply.

How does it open? Hinge or pop out? Never seen one open, like to know.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
POSTBAN,

The door opens with a "key" that is inserted into two of the holes in the small circular keyway. You then rotate the key 180 degrees and the door pops a couple of inches. It then opens fully on its hinge.

Very easy to install. The "Key" is not as secure as a real key, but it does keep the door somewhat secure. It is not obvious how to open to the untrained person.

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread