Review of MGW Shifter Handle (long)

ZXnVS

Established Member
I thought I'd share my impressions of the MGW shifter handle I just installed, although others may have already given their two cents.

I bought the unit because of the long reach to 5th and reverse, but I actually discovered a double benefit: shift feel and precision is also improved (read on).

I can't say my stock Cobra was as precise as I would have liked, but I didn't have sufficient complaints with it to want to spend $200 for a Tri-Ax or Pro5.0. I've been very impressed with everything Ive ordered from MGW (www.mgwltd.com), so I decided to try their $35 shifter handle, too.

The body of the unit is constructed of aluminum alloy, but it is strong and beefy. The adjustable shaft is steel. MGW supplies new, higher-strength bolts for the installation, complete with locking washers and nylon lock nuts (overkill?).

I was surprised when I removed the stock handle by the sheer volume of rubber isolating you from the actual shifter mechanism. No wonder everyone is forking out big bucks for aftermarket shifters! MGW gives you two choices: two thin rubber washers for maximum feel, or a single larger rubber bushing for those worried about vibration. I chose the former, but vibration was almost non-existent anyway. Feel is greatly improved.

I expected the MGW handle to be longer, but it's actually the same length as the stock unit if you fully extend the telescoping steel rod. Retracted, the shift knob would be about an inch lower than stock. This rod has a slight "elbow" bend to it, which allows you to adjust the angle by rotating it. Once you find the position you like, you lock it down with set screws.

Unfortunately I can't compare the feel with a Tri-Ax or Pro5.0, having never driven a car with either. But I can definitely say it's better than stock. I'm not saying those with shifters wasted their money, just that some of us who aren't too unhappy with the stock shifting action can get an improvement for only $35.

Randee of the Redwoods

Clueless. No...really.
Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
I thought I'd share my impressions of the MGW shifter handle I just installed, although others may have already given their two cents.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm considering the MGW handle myself to help eliminate the long reach top gears. And for $35, it beats "hit and miss" shooting with preformed handles to get the handle right where you want it. In the end, did you finally get the handle in a position comfortable for you as you wanted? Were you able to eliminate the long reach?

ZXnVS

Established Member
Re: Re: Review of MGW Shifter Handle (long)

Originally posted by Randee of the Redwoods

Thanks for the heads up. I'm considering the MGW handle myself to help eliminate the long reach top gears. And for $35, it beats "hit and miss" shooting with preformed handles to get the handle right where you want it. In the end, did you finally get the handle in a position comfortable for you as you wanted? Were you able to eliminate the long reach?

Pretty much. I was a bit surprised that the handle was about the same length as stock even with the rod telescoped all the way out. However, because of the elbow in the rod you can rotate it so that it tilts to the side and/or back towards you. It puts the knob in a slightly up-tilted position, but that doesn't bother me, personally. If you go with an aftermarket, spherical knob it would be irrelevant.

I've got my rod adjusted so that the rod tip points to about 8 o'clock, and that makes it an easy reach to fifth (and even reverse) for me.

ZXnVS

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
thats great and all, but most of us want more performance than just a handle.

No doubt. I mentioned in the post that I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of a shifter, just giving my impressions.

I wish more people would post in-depth reviews of parts they add to their Cobras, even simple things like a shifter handle. Then those of us who are considering a purchase would have more info to go by than just the manufacturer's hype. Anyone want to do a review on the Bullitt fuel door? Or better yet, a really in-depth piece on KB or MM subframe connectors? I know several people have them, but I haven't heard any "before and after" comparisons.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Just wanted to let you know I wasn't trying to sound like an a-hole. When I saw my post it looked very rude. No rudeness inteded! :thumbsup: I just meant most of us like the pro5.0 and steeda tri ax. But if you like how the stock shifter feels than an aftermarket handle is the perfect way to go.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
oh and about the sub frames...so far people have said it makes their car feel stiffer. And the ride isn't too harsh either, I think they are worth getting.

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I also installed the MGW shifter handle (and Cobra knob & SVT lighter). See a pix of my shifter in 5th gear, in the Bullitt Shifter Ring thread. I have it set angled to the left and not too high.

Great product. Brings out the best in the stock shifter.

MGW is a quality supplier with great support directly from their owner. They're basically a military contractor.

:beer:

Mowgli

Established Member
Well I just typed in a long, and I mean LONG, 2nd review of the MGW handle. Then hit "post" and the damn timeout said I was no longer logged in and ate my review.

ARRRRRRRG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gt:

So, in the interest of brevity:

Me 6' with 34-35" sleeve
Hate stock shift locations - 3rd, 5th suck
Ordered handle.
Good price.
High quality.
Nice folks.
Got handle.
Install super easy (10 minutes with nothing but crescent wrench).
Shifts now are crisp.
Vagueness & mushiness are gone.
Stock shift knob tilted up - may buy aftermarket.
Location of shifts are now perfect.
Not missed single shift since
More interior gear noise, particularly in 1st - but not bad though.
Happy customer.

Ok, thats my piece.

:beer:

Last edited:

Cobra'03

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Review of MGW Shifter Handle (long)

Originally posted by ZXnVS

Pretty much. I was a bit surprised that the handle was about the same length as stock even with the rod telescoped all the way out. However, because of the elbow in the rod you can rotate it so that it tilts to the side and/or back towards you. It puts the knob in a slightly up-tilted position, but that doesn't bother me, personally. If you go with an aftermarket, spherical knob it would be irrelevant.

I've got my rod adjusted so that the rod tip points to about 8 o'clock, and that makes it an easy reach to fifth (and even reverse) for me.

Just did mine today - I put it in the upper two holes, and also found that the 8 o'clock position made the 2-3 shift perfect. It is slightly longer throw than when I had the Tri-ax handle in the lower position, and I find the whole set up better. The MGW is a very nicely designed, manufactured, and packaged product. They include everything, and I have never bought one of their products that was missing a nut or washer or anything. Higly recommended.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I just installed the MGW handle on the stock shifter. Much more precise and crisp. I agree it'sa a small bit noisier in 1st but the exhaust takes care of that.

Users who are viewing this thread