Right side engine noise

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
my 03(one of the first 03's, bought in 02') has a knocking noise on the right side. I don't know if it is the "Piston Slap" I am hearing about. I took the car to ford and they said it is caused by a coolant passage on the right side is slightly pluged. They also said something interesting, if the car has a pulley put on it or an aftermarket blower, the motor will fail on that side. With that i didn't do anything, prefering to wait till the waranty got closer to the end. Another guy in town who got an early model, put a lightning pulley on his and intake and the whole 9 yards. His motor blew right away. Ford said they would replace the head on the passenger side. i was wondering if anyone had any similar probles and their solution.

jophis37

Established Member
If They Told Me That My Car Had A Blocked Passage In Which Could Cause My Car To Fail W/ The Addition Of Any Mods, And Didn't Do Anything To Fix It, I Would: 1 Not Go Back To Them And 2 Take It To Another Dealer And Get A Second Opinion.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
I don't know what you mean by not getting it fixed. The car is still under warranty, and is still stock. I figured i would let the car go for a little while. Why get a second opinion, another guy already toasted his motor from the changing pulleys.

jophis37

Established Member
toomanymustangs said:
I don't know what you mean by not getting it fixed. The car is still under warranty, and is still stock. I figured i would let the car go for a little while. Why get a second opinion, another guy already toasted his motor from the changing pulleys.

From what you said it sounds like it needs to be fixed, ie, unblock the blockage. Think about, why would adding any mods blow it up. It's either going to brake or not. The added wear and tear of adding mods is expected, but blowing specificlly for adding a pully is assanying..

Last edited:

Blk04Svt

Established Member
I just had my dealer look at my 04 Cobra for the same noise. Ford in Detroit told my dealer it's the cylinder head. A lot of Cobra's have had this problem, from what I hear. Has something to do with the valve guides being worn. I'm getting a new head put on in a week under warranty of course.

toomanymustangs

Philosopher
Established Member
Blk04Svt said:
I just had my dealer look at my 04 Cobra for the same noise. Ford in Detroit told my dealer it's the cylinder head. A lot of Cobra's have had this problem, from what I hear. Has something to do with the valve guides being worn. I'm getting a new head put on in a week under warranty of course.

Basically what they told me. The will replace the head under warranty, Which i was really uncomfortable about. I was waiting to see if ford was gonna do a recall. I dont really like the fact of the motor being broke apart when the car is so new but oh well. The dealer ship told me that the car will be fine but the added stress on the cooling system of more boost will cause the motor to fail. Im not just making this up either, another guy who bought his at the same time is in a court battle with ford because his motor blew when he changed pulleys. The head will be changed when the car comes out of storage this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread