Road and Track ZL1 vs GT500

Formula51

Established Member
Interesting review. This might be the first praise I have seen for the ZL1 shifter and this is now the second time we have read of soft brakes in the GT500 after some lapping. I was also a little surprised to see the ZL1 win all performance tests except straight line acceleration as that has not been the case in other tests. It was good to see the GT500 win one as straight line acceleration is the heart and soul of a muscle car!

A ZL500 Frankenstein would be awesome to see. Imagine the GT500 engine in the ZL1!

Formula51

Established Member
It would be the opposite for me.....ZL1 underpinnings on the 500.

My mind was going there too, but it's a lot harder to accomplish as you can't necessarily fit the larger tires, achieve the weight balance, you have to add IRS which is not even available from Ford (although it was designed I believe), and then fit the MR suspension. Much easier to do an engine swap.

gkviper192

Established Member
This was my favorite part.

"Our points give the GT500 the win, owing largely to its superb straight-line performance at the track, which is an essential part of a pony car’s character."

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That's the fastest MPH I've seen for both cars; first time I've seen 119 for the ZL1, though.

Mxfrench

Established Member
Interesting review. This might be the first praise I have seen for the ZL1 shifter and this is now the second time we have read of soft brakes in the GT500 after some lapping. I was also a little surprised to see the ZL1 win all performance tests except straight line acceleration as that has not been the case in other tests. It was good to see the GT500 win one as straight line acceleration is the heart and soul of a muscle car!

A ZL500 Frankenstein would be awesome to see. Imagine the GT500 engine in the ZL1!
No offence I am a purest. I hate seeing old Fords with Chevy drive trains or a Chevy with an Olds drive train. Worst thing in the world for me mind you is seeing an old chevy with a 454 and an AUTOMATIC. Burns my eyes.
Old Shelby with a 454 and auto drive train:

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The video released today bashes the GT500 to no end.
Finally, validation. I got kicked in the nuts for complaining about tire size on the GT500 being woefully inadequate. Ford had the opportunity to revise the floorpan/rear wheelwell to allow more tire (along with a commensurate increase up front) but stayed the course and got the gas mileage they wanted instead.

Can't have it all I guess...

flyby763

Established Member
Probably a stupid question but why do I keep hearing that Ford put the biggest rear tire they could on there when people are buying aftermarket wheels and putting much larger tires on the back?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Ya know, just a little food for thought, but the COPO cars (Bowtie's answer to the CJ) is running a Ford 9" stick axle.

Guess they learned a little something about going in a straight line, huh?

Bj

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread