Road Race Oil Pan recommendation

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
does anyone have a good, light, road race oil pan to recommend?

I have a Canton Road Race pan right now with the trap doors and all but it is impossible to get it to stop leaking!!

what options are out there? is the aluminum one as bad with leaks to?

help :??:

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
4.6 based 4V Mod Motor, stock 03 GT K-Member

I'm overseas and have not contacted Canton, I don't think there is any suggestion left when the damn thing leaks on the factory welds. and pretty much every Canton we have installed has that problem.

David Hester

Established Member
I've had no experience with the 4.6, but I used road race Canton pans on my last 2 5.0 motors. Never had a problem with leaks from welds, or facings with block.
Bummer.

racebronco2

Established Member
Me and several of my friends have the canton oil pans with no problems. If you have had problems with almost every pan why did you get another one? I have heard that they do have problems but that was years ago. How many pans are bad? Can you send them back to canton? You could always have it re-welded.

4.6 based 4V Mod Motor, stock 03 GT K-Member

I'm overseas and have not contacted Canton, I don't think there is any suggestion left when the damn thing leaks on the factory welds. and pretty much every Canton we have installed has that problem.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
Me and several of my friends have the canton oil pans with no problems. If you have had problems with almost every pan why did you get another one? I have heard that they do have problems but that was years ago. How many pans are bad? Can you send them back to canton? You could always have it re-welded.

I did get another one because I don't know of any options for a road race setup. now that we're doing another build I'm asking specifically for options to avoid this problem.

we had about 5 or 6 pans all with the same problem, most of them on customer cars and the last one on my own car. being overseas sending back stuff just isn't an option because the downtime of the car is too long and shipping costs are way too high to.
we do reweld certain parts before installing but it seems the damn oil always finds a new spot to leak through.

racebronco2

Established Member
I did get another one because I don't know of any options for a road race setup. now that we're doing another build I'm asking specifically for options to avoid this problem.

we had about 5 or 6 pans all with the same problem, most of them on customer cars and the last one on my own car. being overseas sending back stuff just isn't an option because the downtime of the car is too long and shipping costs are way too high to.
we do reweld certain parts before installing but it seems the damn oil always finds a new spot to leak through.

I have welded a few gas tanks in my day. I always ended up with these tiny pin holes. I went to the motorcycle shop and bought two kits of the gas tank sealer, poured them in swissed it around so it coated evrything and let it set for a while. Never had a problem again.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
this may be a stupid question, but will a simple oil pan like the MMR one also work for road racing? it doesn't have any trick trap doors but according to the description it is baffled as well? :shrug:
will look into the Moroso one to, thanks for the tip

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Damn, sorry, wasn't paying attention. The race team I work part time for (Rehagen Racing) has a couple Cammers sitting around but I don't think we have any SN95 cars with the stock k-member laying around to try and verify it for you. Hell, I'm not sure we'd have the SN95 motor mounts either :( If I can come up with something to verify it for you I'll let you know though.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
a couple of Cammers sitting around? mind sending one my way? I'll test fit it and if it fits I'll keep it, LOL!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
HAHA! Yeah you need to have a few spares when running multiple cars in a full season of racing ;) I'm sure one would make it your way for the right amount of money! LOL

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
what is the actual power output of these and what do you consider the right amount of money, you can PM me if you want to keep it out of the forum ;-)

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
what is the actual power output of these and what do you consider the right amount of money, you can PM me if you want to keep it out of the forum ;-)

Been a couple years since we ran the Cammer instead of the Coyote but if memory serves me, I'm gonna say they were about 410 rwhp with a low restriction exhaust when we got them back from Roush Yates after a refresh. They are limited to 7200rpm iirc, I've seen a missed upshift take them close to around 8800rpm without them coming apart, but they don't sound right afterwards :eek:

As for price, I'll have to talk with the team manager to see what they want for one shipped overseas. We've shipped an entire S197 tub to Austrailia before so he should be able to give a decent ballpark number I would think.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
this may be a stupid question, but will a simple oil pan like the MMR one also work for road racing? it doesn't have any trick trap doors but according to the description it is baffled as well? :shrug:
will look into the Moroso one to, thanks for the tip

I have the MMR pan on my road race car, I did install the Canton windage tray with the pan.

From looking at the MMR website it looks like they've improved their oil pan design over the one I have.

I still think you can repair the oil pan that you have.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the MMR pan on my road race car, I did install the Canton windage tray with the pan.

From looking at the MMR website it looks like they've improved their oil pan design over the one I have.

I still think you can repair the oil pan that you have.

thanks for the info, I will consider the MMR pan with the windage tray. I doubt the baffling of the road race pan is actually needed at this point in my car anyway, and if it ever is needed, I will just upgrade to dry sump.

as for repairing the one I have, the pan is staying on my old motor that is going into my boyfriends car, that way he has to live with the leaks :p

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
For what you do with the car the stock oiling system should be sufficient.

If youre worried about oiling after the pan and windage tray, install a 2 qt. Accusump with a remote valve. Mount the accusump in the void behind the metal front bumper and plumb it to an oil filter sandwich adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread