Road Race Oil Pan recommendation

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How does the Moroso pan compare to Canton? I was going to install a Canton RR pan with my Kmember swap but searching around found lot of people with leaks, I didn't need to add another headache.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I have the MMR pan on my road race car, I did install the Canton windage tray with the pan.

From looking at the MMR website it looks like they've improved their oil pan design over the one I have.

I still think you can repair the oil pan that you have.

I was looking at the MMR pan but I finally saw the inside of the pan and it looks as it it doesnt have the baffles and splash guards like the canton/moroso does. How has yours been holding up?

GJMCAR98

MOTOROLA MAN
Established Member
If you run a good oil cooler and keep the oil level FULL there is nothing wrong with the stock oil pan on the 4V Motor for road racing. We run one as hard as anyone in the country shifting at 6800 and have no problems with the stock pan but Do Not let the car get low on oil.....

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If you run a good oil cooler and keep the oil level FULL there is nothing wrong with the stock oil pan on the 4V Motor for road racing. We run one as hard as anyone in the country shifting at 6800 and have no problems with the stock pan but Do Not let the car get low on oil.....

How full are we talking? 7 quarts or more? I don have a aftermarket oil cooler but am planning on getting one when its time to do a K-member. I just really want to go out and have some fun before I dump a bunch of money in building it. I just want decent protection for track use.

Should I at least get a aftermarket windage tray with the stock pan or can I even use a aftermarket piece with a stock pan.

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
well, after spending some hours on the dyno last saturday the freaking canton is leaking like crazy and there is no way to get it not to leak.

does anyone know if the 2013 GT500 pan fits with the stock K-Member?

or any other options? I need to find a solution today and I don't want to go back to a stock oil pan with less capacity.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
How did you install it? stock gasket?

I really think the key to not having any leaks on an aftermarket pan is to toss the gaskets and use blue rtv. I have the canton windage tray sandwiched inbetween the block and the pan. I put blue on both sides. No leaks.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
How did you install it? stock gasket?

I really think the key to not having any leaks on an aftermarket pan is to toss the gaskets and use blue rtv. I have the canton windage tray sandwiched inbetween the block and the pan. I put blue on both sides. No leaks.

I used new OEM gasket with a decent but thin bead of RTV on both sides of the gasket. I made sure to thoroughly clean all mating surfaces prior reinstallation.

racebronco2

Established Member
I measured the GT500 oil pan and it's about the same depth as the stock cobra pan. The GT500 pan does not have ant baffling. I just need to verify that the GT500 windage tray has the same location to hold the oil pick-up in place. Below are the pictures of the GT500 windage tray.
dsci1222i.jpg

dsci1223.jpg

dsci1224i.jpg

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I think MMR sells a composite windage tray that looks like the above tray for all modular motors. I always wondered what oem engine that it was off of.

Be worth it to call Steve @ Tousley and see what price we would get on one?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
I think MMR sells a composite windage tray that looks like the above tray for all modular motors. I always wondered what oem engine that it was off of.

Be worth it to call Steve @ Tousley and see what price we would get on one?

Iv'e seen MMR's windage tray and seriously considered it since it had a molded O-ring around the tray on both sides. I figured I would leave mine stock until I do a rebuild since people complained about having to shim the oil pickup and or tray. I'm not sure if thats the case with the MMR composite as I couldnt find anyone on forums that used one.

racebronco2

Established Member
Iv'e seen MMR's windage tray and seriously considered it since it had a molded O-ring around the tray on both sides. I figured I would leave mine stock until I do a rebuild since people complained about having to shim the oil pickup and or tray. I'm not sure if thats the case with the MMR composite as I couldnt find anyone on forums that used one.

I would think it was a Ford item. What small company could afford to make such an item with the tooling costs and such. I looked at the GT500 pan closer and it does have some baffling around the oil pick-up.

Krooze

Established Member
During the racing, this would be vary panic thing related about Oil. Crew members always pay attention a lot to this. Here is some quality accessories that should be used Fuel Safe Bladders, Fuel Safe sportman, Fuel Hoses, Dry break rebuild kits etc ..

N/Angel

Crazy Swiss Chick!
Established Member
Premium Member
back up as I need to find a good oil pan quickly. any experiences with the moroso road race pan? the GT500 doesn't fit with the stock k-member.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
It looks pretty good, sucks that you have a bad experience with Canton's pan. If ou get the Moroso pan, please post what you think of it.

Users who are viewing this thread