Road Racing with a Whipple

coolcobra

Established Member
Who has experience road racing with a Whipple? I currently have a ported Eaton, with 8lb lower pulley, making 480hp/479ft-lbs on 91 octane. I have all of the cooling mods, but after 10 minutes of all out driving, my oil temp approaches 250f, and I have to keep the revs down to drop the temp.

What can I expect if I go to a Whipple set up with 15lbs. Will I see an increase of 85 hp, and lower operating temperatures?

65mph_Roll

Established Member
I have a buddy who went to road racing and swears by N/A. Had a Griggs equipped Cobra and switched to Z06.

It can be done though, the owner of a local Firestone dealer here has an all out ported Eaton and does nothing but road race.

He has the twin-fan set up. And off road exhaust.

That's all I know...

Last edited:

Machinator

Banned
ShelbyGuy said:
oil temp of 250 is nothing.

wake me up when it gets to 350f.

what do you mean by "all the cooling mods?"

You went and lost your mind you let your oil temp hit 350f and your gonna start eating bearings!

racebronco2

Established Member
well i haven't heard from you lately coolcobra. i would say go to a 2# or 4# lower 8# is too much boost and generates too much heat. have you tried running without the thermostat, evans say that if you are road racing it needs to be removed. i tried runnung with a 2.93 and was getting to warm for my taste. i switched back to a 3.10 and see how that works with and without the thermostat. i finally bought and installed all the cooling mods. i did seal up the front of the car so the air has to goes thru the coolers. a post on this site, one of the members was saying with a ported eaton he was running cooler then with the whipple at low boost pressures, and he was having heating issues not sure what the outcome was.
carlos

TEABG

Banned
racebronco2 said:
well i haven't heard from you lately coolcobra. i would say go to a 2# or 4# lower 8# is too much boost and generates too much heat. have you tried running without the thermostat, evans say that if you are road racing it needs to be removed. i tried runnung with a 2.93 and was getting to warm for my taste. i switched back to a 3.10 and see how that works with and without the thermostat. i finally bought and installed all the cooling mods. i did seal up the front of the car so the air has to goes thru the coolers. a post on this site, one of the members was saying with a ported eaton he was running cooler then with the whipple at low boost pressures, and he was having heating issues not sure what the outcome was.
carlos

Ported Eaton running coller than a Whipple at low boost. HAHAHAHAHHA :lol:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Coolcobra, try PMing EatonEggbeater. He's running a Whipple at about 14+/- lbs of boost and 550 RWHP and has the Cobra set up for road racing.

racebronco2

Established Member
Last edited:

TEABG

Banned

TEABG

Banned
racebronco2 said:
i think if you can't spell sauce you need to stay off the sauce :poke:

Got me there, no excuses... Ex- Vice President Gore could not spell potato when asked from a 3rd grade student at a spelling Bee. FYI I could spell sauce for the record. I can even spell Orpheus. Are you a Eaton owner ?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
nope. bearings are fine. i send my oil samples to the lab regularly. my car has 50,000 miles on it, and ive run it on the racetrack since day one. if it were going to pop, it would have already.

Machinator said:
You went and lost your mind you let your oil temp hit 350f and your gonna start eating bearings!

that was dan quayle that couldnt spell putaytoh. al gore invented the internet.

Last edited:

TTA89

Established Member
coolcobra said:
Who has experience road racing with a Whipple? I currently have a ported Eaton, with 8lb lower pulley, making 480hp/479ft-lbs on 91 octane. I have all of the cooling mods, but after 10 minutes of all out driving, my oil temp approaches 250f, and I have to keep the revs down to drop the temp.

What can I expect if I go to a Whipple set up with 15lbs. Will I see an increase of 85 hp, and lower operating temperatures?

You won't see any difference in engine temps between a whipple and eaton and KB on an OT session. After 2 laps they are all approaching rediculous levels. Ater 20 min everything is overheated or approaching.

Make sure your running good oil that can tolerate high temps.

What cooling mods do you have?

racebronco2

Established Member
coolcobra has all the cooling mods but he is running a stock upper and 6# lower i believe. in november if i remeber correctly he was running 223 degrees in cooler weather and i was running 233 (3.10 pulley stock lower)without the inlet and remote filter/oil cooler. so when summer comes the engine temps are going to rise so i am going to remove the thermostat richen up the a/f to around 11:1 i already sealed up the front of the car so that the air goes thru the radiatorand h/e.

TEABG

Banned
racebronco2 said:
coolcobra has all the cooling mods but he is running a stock upper and 6# lower i believe. in november if i remeber correctly he was running 223 degrees in cooler weather and i was running 233 (3.10 pulley stock lower)without the inlet and remote filter/oil cooler. so when summer comes the engine temps are going to rise so i am going to remove the thermostat richen up the a/f to around 11:1 i already sealed up the front of the car so that the air goes thru the radiatorand h/e.

It gets hotttttt out your way where you live !

racebronco2

Established Member
real hott .... the tracks that we run are usually streets of willow, willow international, buttonwillow and cal speedway.

CobraMystic

Established Member
TEABG said:
Got me there, no excuses... Ex- Vice President Gore could not spell potato when asked from a 3rd grade student at a spelling Bee. FYI I could spell sauce for the record. I can even spell Orpheus. Are you a Eaton owner ?

That was Quayle not Gore.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
im finding the whole evans mods helpful, but not a cure-all. my car still ran 240+ today with oil temp gauge pegged.

my car is weird. the only time i ever hit limp-home mode was last july when my lap timer said it was 117f in the car (easily 101 outside with probably a 125f track temp) and i forgot to turn the heat on. was running ok with the heater on otherwise that day. my car doesnt go into limp mode, it just pukes out the overflow tank cap. you know it right away because it goes right out the hood vents onto the windshield. like someone sneezed on it.

anyhoo i ran the snot out of the car (half hour sessions!) and it did fine. kept puking again once it got to around 240 or so, and i could feel it pulling out a little spark advance, but otherwise it ran like a top. im betting that when i switch to the evans coolant it will stop puking. im still running water+antifreeze.

hrmmm now that i think about it, since your question is whipple vs. eaton, which gives you more grunt down low? the power difference is negated by the better handling car and better driver. more ooompfh at the apex is always a nice thing, for sure.

but like tta89 said, two laps into it and the temps will be off the scale no matter what you do anyway. might as well put the $3k into tires, brake pads, and fuel.

i got 70 miles to a tank today :D

Users who are viewing this thread