Road Racing?

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
November I should be able to swing...and if all goes well, I should be able to make it with the fox. It will depend on how soon I get full use of my arm back, and how much extra cash I have. The fox still needs a tune and 4 tires before I can run it.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'll hold you to it.

No overheating issues allowed in November.

LOL! Lets hope I don't have any. I have two cars, one of them should be available to run. I know that the radiator on the fox is undersized now, but hopefully it won't be an issue that time of year.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I had forgotten you hurt yourself, Mike.
Get better, and get out there. :dancenana:

Thanks. Yeah, it's been 6 weeks and my bone is still completely un-healed. My shoulder is also lower, closer and rotated forward of where it should be. The bone doesn't really hurt anymore, but my shoulder, back and neck do. Despite it all, I can't wait to hit the trails again.

black-plasma

Established Member
You're correct in terms of ultimate lap times, (I've seen a Nissan Sentra with similar results), but he's starting with an open mind and checkbook. He might as well get some idea of what gives him a woody as far as a track car goes
(sorry Marlon :D).

I enjoy the car I track with. There are others I'd like as well. And some I wouldn't.

But to say it doesn't matter what car he has is I think to miss the point. Most of us are open tracking (HPDE, On Track, call it what you want) for the fun of it, not just to see what kind of times we can lay down. And I think anyone would have more fun in a car they like, be it from an aesthetic reason, a "fun-to-drive" quotient, or maybe just cheap to run.

I would be willing to bet he gets a used Z06.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Thanks. Yeah, it's been 6 weeks and my bone is still completely un-healed. My shoulder is also lower, closer and rotated forward of where it should be. The bone doesn't really hurt anymore, but my shoulder, back and neck do. Despite it all, I can't wait to hit the trails again.

Yeah, now that my bike will actually change gears when I want it to, we need to get back out there.

Track events in October and November eh? Maybe I'll have myself a little track car by then. I've been looking at a civic hatch with a B18 swap and badass coilovers...

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Thanks All! :)

I'm still debating but will actually be heading out this weekend to test drive a few options.

Greg, where's the schedule posted for the upcoming events?

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Marlon, I can't link directly to the site, it's some java script or something.

But if you go to the home page here...
http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/
and across the top are 4 tabs, the right one says "Motorsports Schedule". Click on that.

And the tab marked "3 Tracks" is interesting, too. Clicking on the tracks has some interesting interactive features.

dragon40k

Established Member
Thanks All! :)

I'm still debating but will actually be heading out this weekend to test drive a few options.

Greg, where's the schedule posted for the upcoming events?

I use www.motorsportsreg.com to check out the schedule of various clubs and organizations. There are a couple events at summit that I would like to get to if I can. Particulary one of the BMW or Porche Club events.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Thanks Guys! :)

Hey, how about a 6spd Solstice or Sky? :lol:

They have pretty strong turbocharged motors and peak 260TQ at 2500rpm. :pop:

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member
As usual, I'm late to the thread :loser: so I get to simply agree with most of what has been posted above. That said, I've seen the Sentra Greg is talking about and it definitely surprises some people. I've also seen everything from 70's Mercedes sedans to late model Hemi Chargers on track. If Marlon has a woody for the Corvettes, the C5 Z06 makes a great track car, although since it's heavy and has a lot of power, it suffers from the same problems Mustangs do - it eats tires and brakes - and they aren't cheap... unless you buy your tires at Performance Autosport :coolman:.

I totall agree with Greg though... find a car that you like and bring it out to the track. If you are doing HPDE or some other form of open tracking, then the point is to have fun, not go as fast as possible. Going fast, or course, is a part of having fun for some people. If you are one of those people, that might affect your choice of car...

Good Luck,

Rick

rtomlin

Member GCassidy Fan Club
Established Member

Take a look at the series The Setup on Speed to get a feel for the trackability of these cars. From what I hear, they are also giving the Miatas fits in SCCA Pro Solo.

Rick

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

You aren't going to find many small roadsters out there with RWD and turbos from the factory. Still, even the older turbo miata only made about 200hp, so the 260 from GM is nuts.

I think it'd be great to see you out on the track in a Mini lol. If Dwight can fit in one, you can Marlon. The new ones are turbo'd as well, so there's definitely a potential for more power. :beer:

wheelhopper

Established Member
The problem with the Solstice and the Sky is that if you get the turbo model, they cost around $34K new, and there is not a huge supply of old used ones out there.

ScottinSSMD

gotta 996TT too!
Established Member
Turbo lag owned me in the twisties in automatic. I am trying to master the turns before I dip into the tiptronic controls. Steering around a double apex and hitting the paddles isn't the easiest thing to do. Next track weekened will concentrate on the shifting.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The problem with the Solstice and the Sky is that if you get the turbo model, they cost around $34K new, and there is not a huge supply of old used ones out there.

I beg to differ. A new Saturn used car lot just popped up in White Plains right next to Atlantic Cycle. Every time I go by, they have a who bunch of Sky's sitting out front and I'm pretty sure at least some of them are Redline models.

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Bet they want $29,900 for a used one.

I just bought a Saturn Vue Redline for the GF, I checked the Sky's out, the're pricey.

Users who are viewing this thread