Road & Track Comparison: GT/GT500 vs Z51/Z06

SteveEvo8

Established Member
Good find, and it sucks that even big magazine companies are comparing the gt500 and the z06. If they really wanted to do this comparison why not just compare the 2 closest in price? The GT500 and z51, and even still at that you can't compare the cars honestly. Just my opinion though. Great read though, and it looks like i am going to barnes and noble.

Steve

Fourcam330

Established Member
They should have compared the GT500 to a non Z51 C6. Check the sticker on the Z51 in question.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Fourcam330 said:
They should have compared the GT500 to a non Z51 C6. Check the sticker on the Z51 in question.
I 100% agree. A stripper gt500 vs a stripper c6 are really close in MSRP.

svtkeith

Oops! I made a mistake, the GT500 is on the list. I did not scroll the article over. Please disregard previous post. But the times for the GT500 do not add up.

svtkeith

jtfx6552

Established Member
There is a better link in that thread:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11755/the-lightning-lap.html

In that story, about the GT500:

"The Shelby GT500 felt as if a horsepower thief were operating in the area. During our first stint, the 500-hp engine ran out of steam over 5000 rpm and came in at a disappointing 3:11.0."

Later they say Ford blamed failed parts.

I don't believe that for a second. Ford really needs to fix the stock tune.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Sell's magazines, that's the main thing ... who of us could walk by that mag cover in the grocery store & not pick it up. ;-)

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Just saw the 12.8 @ 113 for the GT500, I think somebody done stuck a banana in the tailpipe - probably a GM guy did it when no one was looking.

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
Apples and Oranges, the comparison isn't really fair. Its been said before one is a SPORTs car the other is a PONY car. What did they expect to happen?

2k1cobra

Established Member
LMAO love those magazine racers over at the corvette forums.:lol:

redline360

Established Member
Apples to Oranges......just trying to sell the mag :)

Although it is a good read

Black86

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

Not only that, what on Earth was the California Special doing in that test? They could have at least tested the Shelby GT, but I guess this just shows how biased the magazines are.

They should have tested the Ford GT against the ZO6, and the GT 500 against the C6.

It is funny though reading the comments from all the people over on the Corvette forum about how the GT500 can't go around corners!

Hopefully when the Cane comes out Ford finally puts the Chevy crowd to bed...

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Again, The "base" Z51 Corvette is as fast as the Gt500!:read:
Both very fast cars..

And some of you are complaining about the GT500's times?
What about the ZO6 turning 12.0 at 120 something..
LOL.. Thats about what I turn with my C5 Zo6!
LOL

Its all relative.

Last edited:

bluestreak89

Established Member
Fourcam330 said:

As for now not really as a shelby will rarely be sold at sticker. Maybe in some months when the ADM's go away but as for now that would be a fair comparison price wise.

However this means nothing and have never meant anything because everyone that know scars knows that a mustang is meant to be modded. And for a couple grand or so extra you can have your GT500 leaving the C6 far far behind and pushing up on the heels of the Z06. What impresses me is that it only took 4 extra feet and 11 respetively to stop a car with 600 and 800 more lbs respectively.

bluestreak89

Established Member
Win7ermute said:
I think the guy who said an FGT/GT500 against Z06/Z51 would be more entertaining had it right. WTF is a "california special" anyway. . .a couple of badges and decals. . .

Damn, keep reading and you get this: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/11755/the-lightning-lap.html

Now thats an article.

Amen to that!!!!!!!

That's an awesome article and it will be good to have a benchmark here in the states.

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
As for now not really as a shelby will rarely be sold at sticker. Maybe in some months when the ADM's go away but as for now that would be a fair comparison price wise.

However this means nothing and have never meant anything because everyone that know scars knows that a mustang is meant to be modded. And for a couple grand or so extra you can have your GT500 leaving the C6 far far behind and pushing up on the heels of the Z06. What impresses me is that it only took 4 extra feet and 11 respetively to stop a car with 600 and 800 more lbs respectively.

not to mention the discounts on the Vette you can now get. Even without the ADM's, the Corvette is cheaper because of the discounts.

You are right about the brakes.. The GT500 brakes are astounding when you consider the Gt500's weight!:bowdown:

Corvettes can be modded as well. Headers and a tune arent that expensive, and will put into the 11's. If you want more, you can get a cam.

Devil Dog

TOYZ, yeah I got some.
Established Member
bluestreak89 said:
However this means nothing and have never meant anything because everyone that know scars knows that a mustang is meant to be modded. And for a couple grand or so extra you can have your GT500 leaving the C6 far far behind and pushing up on the heels of the Z06

Both cars can be easily modded, the bottom line is the vette has less weight and much better aeros, and remember the Z51 vette is at a 100 HP disadvantage right from the start.

My old 99 C5 vert can show a new ZO6 its tail lights.

Users who are viewing this thread