Road & Track test of GT500

larryc7777

Established Member
You know, I haven't been dropping by SVT Performance much lately but I wanted to see what you guys thought about the performance results from the magazines. I started to read 2 different threads but quit because these two BOZOS were wasting my time with their petty, childish bickering. Grow up, guys. There isn't anything more lame than argueing on a message board.

ps. Learn about using capitals & punctuation, also.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:rollseyes I was cleaning up near my magazine area and just happen to see my april 06 road&track issue and i happen to open it and ran across this test. Cadillac STS-V supercharged dohc 4.4-liter v-8, 469 bhp@6400 rpm/439 lb-ft@3600 rpm 6-spd auto test weight 4570 lb weight dist 56% f / 44 % r 3.23:1 final drive ratio 0-60 mph 4.7 sec 1/4 mile 13.2 @ 107.5 mph top speed 155 *elec limited. Then i went back to my july 06 issue with the Shelby GT500 supercharged 5.4-liter v-8, 500 bhp @600 rpm / 480 lb-ft@4500 rpm 6-spd manual test weight 4130 lb weight dist 56% f / 44 % r 3.31:1 final drive ratio 0-60 mph 4.7 sec 1/4 mile 13.1 @ 112.2 mph top speed 150 * elec limited. man this gives me a new prospective on performance :rolleyes: :rollseyes the same mag with the same test drivers coming up with these times with these two cars with this much power difference :loser: :bs:

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
BLUE OVAL NUT said:
:rollseyes I was cleaning up near my magazine area and just happen to see my april 06 road&track issue and i happen to open it and ran across this test. Cadillac STS-V supercharged dohc 4.4-liter v-8, 469 bhp@6400 rpm/439 lb-ft@3600 rpm 6-spd auto test weight 4570 lb weight dist 56% f / 44 % r 3.23:1 final drive ratio 0-60 mph 4.7 sec 1/4 mile 13.2 @ 107.5 mph top speed 155 *elec limited. Then i went back to my july 06 issue with the Shelby GT500 supercharged 5.4-liter v-8, 500 bhp @600 rpm / 480 lb-ft@4500 rpm 6-spd manual test weight 4130 lb weight dist 56% f / 44 % r 3.31:1 final drive ratio 0-60 mph 4.7 sec 1/4 mile 13.1 @ 112.2 mph top speed 150 * elec limited. man this gives me a new prospective on performance :rolleyes: :rollseyes the same mag with the same test drivers coming up with these times with these two cars with this much power difference :loser: :bs:
What is your point?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
Your point is not clear..
Are you are trying to say that you dont trust the results in R&T?

You are also insinuating that you can judge a cars performance,
based on the MFGR's claimed hp ratings,

which is FALSE.

Last edited:

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
Purvis said:
Your point is not clear..
Are you are trying to say that you dont trust the results in R&T?

You are also insinuating that you can judge a cars performance,
based on the MFGR's claimed hp ratings,

which is FALSE.
I trust that with this tester and this track etc this is the results. I know that driver A might get faster numbers but driver A wasn't testing for Road& Track . My real point will be that most people are saying that the Z06/ Gto etc is the competition but looks like the Caddy might own you if you're not driver A . :lol: Just a comparison dude look at the power too weight performance between the two.

Last edited:

Formula51

Established Member
BLUE OVAL NUT said:
I trust that with this tester and this track etc this is the results. I know that driver A might get faster numbers but driver A wasn't testing for Road& Track . My real point will be that most people are saying that the Z06/ Gto etc is the competition but looks like the Caddy might own you if you're not driver A . :lol: Just a comparison dude look at the power too weight performance between the two.

It is rather hard to find a true class competitor. The 300C SRT-8 and Charger SRT-8 are close in price and power, but are four doors and available in an automatic only, no convertible, etc. They are not that close in on-track performance either.

The GTO is more than $10,000 cheaper than the GT500. Other than that, it is in a similar class as fas as performance with the GTO clearly behind the GT500 in on-track performance, but clearly ahead in gas mileage and likely ahead in ride comfort (due to independent rear and less agressive shocks/springs). No vert for the GTO either.

The Vette is also very close in price and straightling performance. BUT the Vette is only a two seater and bests the GT500 in every performance category, except straightline performance (close so far). Two very different cars.

As you see, the performance of the GT500, coupled with the price point and 4 passenger seating, puts it in a unique place in the market.

This could be very good, or it could be very bad for Ford.

Users who are viewing this thread