Roaming/high idle

SVTwhore

Established Member
I recently had had the top end partially disassembled to replace the lash adjusters on my '97 Cobra. A couple were making noise and not pumping up with oil. I've got everything back together as it was before I tore it down and am now having idle issues. For the most part when pulling up to a light or whatever the engine wants to idle at 2k RPM consistently. After 10-15 seconds it will idle back down to a somewhat normal RPM at about 1k. Sometime it will sit and idle up and down from 800-2k RPM, it to clears up after sitting for a few seconds. I'm rather baffled by this, could anyone get me a diagram or a place to find one online for the vacuum line routing. All of the lines are hooked up but maybe I hooked a couple up wrong. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get this thing finished up.

As far as mods go the car has an Accufab TB, Vortech S-trim, full exhaust, supporting fuel mods and some other items that are irrelevant to this issue. It has been tuned and ran fine less the lifters before tearing it down.

1997Slobrah

No
Established Member
Most of these cars do this... higher idle when stopping at a light and then they die back down after a few seconds, but I have never heard of it staying at 2k..

SVTwhore

Established Member
^^^Mine didn't have any idle issues before. It did have a slight miss but I resolved that with new ignition components (plugs, wires and coils). I must be missing something small and relatively easy, just not seeing it yet.

SVTwhore

Established Member
The only whistle I hear is from the SC. I'm going to tear into it this weekend again and see if I can find something that I may have missed. Figure since I'll be in doing the clutch I may as well go back through everything again. I know it has to be something small.

SNAKEYE

Established Member
Clean the IAC with carb cleaner. Use a tooth brush to assist the cleaning process. Do not try to move the pintel - it's a screw drive.

SVTwhore

Established Member
OK so I cleaned the IAC and no change. Is there a possibility that the TPS is out of alignment? Any advice on adjustments would be great, this is really starting to frustrate the hell out of me. Another question. If I put the Oval Accufab TB on (the big one, 1700 CFM) would I need a re-tune since it's flowing considerably more than stock? I bought one, just waiting for it to arrive, though I would still like to figure out what's up with my current setup.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread