Roasted new BMW M3 in my E55

cobra101

Established Member
Figured I would post here being I still have my cobra (and not in e55 forums yet). I was fortunate enough to keep the cobra at least for a little while, even with the 06 e55 amg. 1000hp between the two cars, at least until I have to sell the cobra :) Garage is looking sweet.

So first week in my e55, cocky m3 guy zooms next to me at a light. I do not like to run on street but had to quick blast him. no other cars in any lane..

Basically waited and when i saw him punch I punched. first gear he was 1 1/2 cars back. 2nd gear about 2 cars.. shut it down after 3rd gear shifted. 0-80mph about.. he dove off and made a turn after. didn't want to talk about his 2 door v8 400hp+ new car got dusted by a 7 year old 4 door :)

amazing car the e55, low 12 seconds in luxury.

-cobra101

Ps. Cobra will be on ebay soon enough :) 1 of 1
Pss. The e55 is very similar to cobra believe it or not. SCharged v8, same shift points, RWD, 12 second car, and same power and MPG.

Last edited:

04svtterm

Established Member
E55s are amazing! i dont think they belong in the same class as a cobra. cobra's are fun cars and hella fast for the price but the e55 has fit and finish....better styling. Let's be honest here...the 04s interior looks like the ones out of a 1994 explorer haha. i stimm miss mine though :(
Good kill btw!!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Good kill O.P! A lot of us are very familiar with the E55, some even have them running in the high 10's. Great car no doubt, I was shopping around for one before but there were some things I didn't like in it.

My friend owns an 04 E55 and its a blast to drive. Looks like you got the last E55 year and with some of the cooling issues fixed.

MrGlock81

Established Member
nice kill op, there was a guy that used to take his E55 to Capitol Raceway in MD. He ran 10's. Awesome cars!

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Those E55s are nasty with mods. Much more performance potential than the replacement 6.2L engine in the newer E63s, just not as smooth or low maintenance.

Bmr4life

Established Member
I love the E55s also. Keep us informed as you mod it or maybe I'll just have to surf the e55 forums.

Vegas Mach1

Established Member
Those E55s are nasty with mods. Much more performance potential than the replacement 6.2L engine in the newer E63s, just not as smooth or low maintenance.

Guess again and try try doing some research first. The N/A 6.2L is a tune and tires away from mid to high 11's. The new E63 is TT and with a tune can't be touched by an E55.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
Guess again and try try doing some research first. The N/A 6.2L is a tune and tires away from mid to high 11's. The new E63 is TT and with a tune can't be touched by an E55.

Maybe YOU should do your research. Dollar for dollar, the old supercharged E55s are faster with mods than the newer 6.2L E63s EVER were.

Spend $5K in mods on an E55 and you're making 566 lb/ft of torque:
R1 Performance Package for E 55K (W211- 514 HP / 566 TQ) | RENNTECH MERCEDES

Spend $5,200 in mods on an E63 (6.2L) and you're still making "only" 495 lb ft: R1 Performance Package for E 63 (W211- 549 HP / 495 TQ) | RENNTECH MERCEDES

Last time I checked, spending $200 MORE for 71 ft lbs LESS torque was both more expensive, AND slower. (And I have seen this exact scenario played out at the dragstrip here at Speedworld in AZ. When the E63 came out in 2007, it absolutely could NOT keep up with the guys running around in E55s unless they were in a highway roll-on).

Per my original post, I was only comparing the 6.2L naturally aspirated E63 with the 5.4L supercharged E55. Nothing newer. So, bringing up the new twin turbo AMG models is irrelevant. (Because yes, with mods, those cars will smoke both of the cars I was referring to). :burnout:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Franz said it well. The E55 was and still is the faster car vs the E63. Its been proven many times, mod for mod and even stock for stock (except for high end rolls). The only thing the E63 had it was high speed rolls and reliability. The E55 would heat soak really bad after a couple of runs.

TERMIN8U!

Just a little 281ci motor
Established Member
Nice kill! The E9X M3s are fun cars but only dyno around 360-380rwhp and like 280rwtq. They just lack power IMO but fun to DD and take around corners.

Vegas Mach1

Established Member
You guys are totally correct and I do stand corrected as you stated the 6.2 E63's not the 5.5 TT. I should watch my posting & wording on things too quickly.
I did do a little extra research on DragTimes. The E55's listed are true monsters. The 6.2L E's are not drag cars at all. The C63's put up a little better fight but still fall a little short. Only upside the C63 has no heat soak to speak of actually they like a little "hot-lapping".

Oh nice kill OP on the M I like taken them out when the chance arises.

scv8

Sideways SVT Poster
Established Member
Good kill OP. :beer:

Any pics of your double nickel?

Users who are viewing this thread