Rock Auto ? THink twice before ordering from them.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I am really upset with Rock Auto right now. I have ordered from them for a long time and spent a lot of money there. Everything has been ok, parts are usually cheaper and they come pretty fast. But I recently returned an oil pump, unopened, for the 4.6 engine in my Mustang. First of all, they issued me a credit for a water pump. When I told them that was wrong, they made me take pictures of the water pump I kept because they thought I was trying to scam them. (Oil pump was $80, water pump was $30) I sent the pictures and they admitted I had sent an oil pump, and today I got the credit.

Look at the restocking fee and shipping fees they hit me with !

[h=4]Store Credit[/h]Amount (USD): $38.29
Code: SC3A
Expiration: 09/06/2017

[h=4]Refunded Items[/h]SEALED POWER Part # 22443498: Part: $80.79 - Re-Stocking Fee: $36.79 = Total: $44.00
ReturnLabel: - Return Shipping Deduction: $5.71

If they think I am going to take this lying down, they are crazy. I will NEVER buy one cent of product from these jerks again. They treated me like a thief during the whole transaction, and now they stick me with an outrageous restocking fee. This is not the end of this story, I will not go away quietly, like they think I will.

Don

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Re-stocking fee seems really high.. Not sure what your issue is with $5.71 shipping. Were you within the 30 day return policy?

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
The shipping I understand, someone has to pay that. It is that ridiculously high restocking fee that I am mad about. They are just doing it to punish me for complaining about them giving me te wrong credit in the first place. There was NO RESTOCKING FEE on the incorrect water pump, but now they are sticking it to me to show they are in control.

Above all else, I am really upset about their lack of good customer service throughout this ordeal. They treated me like they really didn't care one way or another if I ever bought again, or how much I spent in the past. This order alone was about $500 and I was ready to place a thousand dollar order for a complete new ac system for the Mustang. Now, Advance Auto will get that sale.

Their customer service people are rude and jerks. They have the attitude that they could give a crap about you, they are always right. Like I mentioned, I will spend more money than I lost to show them they can't simply run over people like this..............small claims court is there for a reason and I will use it.

Oh, and yes, I was well within 30 day policy when I sent it back.

Don

Massie02GT

Established Member
That's terrible; I hope you get some resolution. I've spent a pretty penny or 2 with them and never had an issue - but I've never returned anything, either.

Have you checked their website for any kind of "fine print" stating there will be a restocking fee? A lot of online places have that policy; though I've never understood why. I don't think it takes $35 worth of labor to open a box and put an item back. However; if it's stated somewhere, you could be SOL.

RI-SVT

TVS Powered
Established Member
They are the Harbor Freight of automotive parts, you have to know what to buy from them, they got big and customer service went down the tubes, I've had my issues with them as well.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
I have scoured their website and my packing slip and invoice, and I can't find anything relating to restocking fees. Their website is easy to navigate as far as car parts, but hard to navigate for questions about policy, etc.

The Harbor Freight analogy is a good one, except that HF takes back stuff with no questions or hassles. I work retail and I take care of customer problems all day long, and the first words out of my mouth are "Sure, let me see how we can make this right." The first words out of their mouth was "NOPE, you did not return an oil pump, it was a water pump !" Very cut and dry and rude. They made me prove that I was not lying.

In all the time I have bought from them and the thousands I have spent, I have never returned one item. They are ok as long as they are taking your money, but trying to get some back is another story altogether.

Don

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't believe I've ever bought anything from them. I typically stick with OEM or Napa, unless going for a performance upgrade.

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
Yes, they do sell Motorcraft parts, that is mainly what I have been buying from them. Today, when I got home I had this email:

To: donshotrod
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:36:16 PM
Subject: Re: [#101928887] RockAuto Order 49111282 Credit Issued

Hello,

As you are aware we mistakenly issued you store credit for the Water Pump for $30.86 on 8/23/16. That credit is still valid. This credit brings the total credit you have received to $69.15. This is the correct refund you should have received for returning the Oil Pump. The cost of the oil pump was $80.79 and there were two return labels used. $5.93 used to send the part to the location the Water Pump was expected to go to and $5.71 forward the Oil Pump to the correct location for a total ending refund of $69.15.

Thank you,

Devin
RockAuto Customer ServiceI

I can live with that, and it looks like they are trying to save face by saying the original credit for the water pump is still alive. Very strange, since they know I sent NO water pump back. I will use up the credit and then never order from them again. If I hadn't pushed hard, I know they would not have done this correction.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Eh. People make mistakes.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Yes, they do sell Motorcraft parts, that is mainly what I have been buying from them. Today, when I got home I had this email:

To: donshotrod
Sent: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:36:16 PM
Subject: Re: [#101928887] RockAuto Order 49111282 Credit Issued

Hello,

As you are aware we mistakenly issued you store credit for the Water Pump for $30.86 on 8/23/16. That credit is still valid. This credit brings the total credit you have received to $69.15. This is the correct refund you should have received for returning the Oil Pump. The cost of the oil pump was $80.79 and there were two return labels used. $5.93 used to send the part to the location the Water Pump was expected to go to and $5.71 forward the Oil Pump to the correct location for a total ending refund of $69.15.

Thank you,

Devin
RockAuto Customer ServiceI

I can live with that, and it looks like they are trying to save face by saying the original credit for the water pump is still alive. Very strange, since they know I sent NO water pump back. I will use up the credit and then never order from them again. If I hadn't pushed hard, I know they would not have done this correction.

Why the two return labels for only returning one part? How would that be your fault?

Mustangv6nomore

Established Member
The reason for the two return shipping charges is that they CLAIM I filled out the return request to send back a WATER pump. Since I did that request on their website, I had no proof and had to accept what they were saying. I don't think I did that, but it was easier to just eat the few bucks additional fees, just to expedite getting this thing over with. So, they hit me with a shipping fee to ship the OIL pump to the water pump warehouse, and then to reship it to the oil pump warehouse.

I know it is very confusing, and I am just glad it is over.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread