Rocker Arm/Valve Spring replacement

funair02

Established Member
Hi all
Well I love my L and I want to keep it (I just paid the f--er off):pepper:
Anyways, seems like when you pay it off, something goes wrong.

I am going to attack the ticking noise I have been battling. I HAS to be a rocker/spring issue. I've done the plugs, the exhaust gaskets, and fuel injectors - this is the next step.

Anyone know the procedure? I've never opened up the top of a Ford modular, so I dont know what to expect under the valve cover. I'm hoping the rocker rides on top of the cam, not under it.

Can someone explain the proceedure and have pics of the valve train up top?

Thanks all!
Joe

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I'm having similar ticking noises on the passenger side of my motor too. I haven't taken anyting apart but I'm 99.9% sure it's a rocker or hydraulic lash adjuster.
Please keep us posted what you find out to get rid of the ticking.

funair02

Established Member
Whitebolt--
Bro I am so happy someone else know what the heck Im talking about :beer:

This tick is driving me crazy. Its loud, not motor destructive loud, but a heck of a lot louder than an injector. Its sounds like a mix of a injector click with a very slight exhaust leak. Its wierd.

Im going to make a recording of it tonight, high quality, and if you can listen to it and tell me if its the same thing...

My vacation is coming up in a few days, Im going to tackle this problem and fix it...Im sick of it:bored:

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I hear mine only at idle. It's usually loudest after the motor warms up and is idling at normal speed. Comes and goes intermittently, like only one or two rockers are clicking.
It goes away as soon as I touch the throttle.
Some say that a bad idler pulley can make a similar noise but I don't know how it could make the noise travel to the valve cover area.

Last edited:

LightningLou

Established Member
I hear mine only at idle. It's usually loudest after the motor warms up and is idling at normal speed. Comes and goes intermittently, like only one or two rockers are clicking.
It goes away as soon as I touch the throttle.
Some say that a bad idler pulley can make a similar noise but I don't know how it could make the noise travel to the valve cover area.

I have that exact same issue with only the passenger side as well... Weirrd. Do you have headers by chance? Thinking it may just be some valvetrain resonation in the header since it is much thinner than a stock manifold. Weird part is I don't hear it on the drivers side so i dunno...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread