Rod knock on potential purchase

the_dude963

Established Member
I'm looking at a 97 Cobra that the owner says has a rod knock. What do you all think would be a fair offer? I'm thinking $1500? Assuming the engine will need a rebuild.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You're looking at a car that's going to bring between $8-12k when fixed without knowing how bad it's hurt. $1500 might be a hair low, but not by much. Wouldn't hurt to make the offer. Can you rebuild the engine yourself?

the_dude963

Established Member
You're looking at a car that's going to bring between $8-12k when fixed without knowing how bad it's hurt. $1500 might be a hair low, but not by much. Wouldn't hurt to make the offer. Can you rebuild the engine yourself?
I'm definitely going to try! It will be my long term project for sure

96GT226410

Established Member
It wasn't bad at all. I grabbed a Mark VIII engine to drop in. You can look for my build thread and you'll see what I went through. I'm in the middle of swapping another engine in due to another spun rod bearing so I'll update it when I get it done.
How did that rebuild go?

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Makobra

Mostly Peaceful
Established Member
i bought a car that was solid but a mess, engine out and torn apart, so obviously not running, and missing God only knows what for 4K and then I sold about 2k in parts.
so i'd say if you can pick up an unmolested car with a possibly bad motor for 1500 you're doing quite well :D

Users who are viewing this thread