Rode at the track in a Focus ST

wheelhopper

Established Member
I figured I would share my experience with anyone checking the ST threads out and considering buying one of these cars.

I attended 3 days at SCMC Superfest. Ford had several tractor trailors there and were giving rides in a track prepped Boss, 2013 GT500, and a 2013 Focus ST. These were not casual rides around VIR but Ford test engineers driving the pants off of these cars. The cars were just how you would buy them from the dealer, with the exception of a roll bar and harnesses. We are talking stock brake pads, tires, etc.

The Focus ST really impressed me. We went up the uphill esses with the back end coming off the ground. I would guess we were running 2.18 track times, give or take a couple seconds, which is real impressive for an econobox that is not track prepped.

Last edited:

wheelhopper

Established Member
^Mistype, I corrected it. There was no RS, just an ST.

The power band felt very linear. I did not feel any sudden turbo boost take off. The car hauled ass

wheelhopper

Established Member
The car felt balanced. I drive a track prepped fox body on the same course. The big difference I noticed is that with the ST being FWD, the back wheels are just there to hold the back end up. We would go around turns and the back end would come around on some of them. But, you simply point the front wheels in the direction you want to go and the car goes there, no lifting of the gas or any drama.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I would have no problem driving this car at high speeds.

Not sure about comparing the ST with the SVT. I have never been in an SVT Focus.

Users who are viewing this thread