Roller Build

NewMach123

Established Member
Hey guys, so recently I have been looking to get into a high horsepower mustang and out of my Mach 1 but I got to thinking; I had possible plans for all the cars I was looking at down the road such as stroker motors, built trannys, boost swaps (changing superchargers/single turbos to twin turbos), etc, etc...All the cars I was looking at would need something changed eventually to make it more of what I wanted it to be. So I got to thinkin, why not just buy a roller mustang for cheap that would need a new engine & tranny; it would probably save money in the long run. Basically I am asking for some guidance for a few things:

1) How much will it cost to have a engine and transmission (w/ transbrake & full reverse manual valve body) installed into a 2001-2004 GT? (I know this varies between shops so I was just looking for an estimate)
2) Can I put in low compression motor pistons for now and then boost it 3-5 years later or should I put in normal compression pistons and change them to lower compression pistons down the road?

I figured an MMR 1000SE 5.0 stroker block (it's $100 cheaper right now than the MMR900 block) N/A with Stage 2 heads and either stage 2 or 3 cams will run around $7-8k and a tranny will run around $3.5-4.5k. Before I possibly get jumped about being overprepared by getting 1000hp rated motor.....the reason is that I planned on going twin turbo in 3-5 years and hope for 700-800rwhp then. Do my numbers seem right for the prices?...As I said I was going to get an MMR motor and was planning on using either Lentech or a local shop known to be good (Transmissions To Go in STL) for the transmission.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mike@TF

Established Member
are you going with a 2v or 4v?

i would keep compression stock or 9:1

your price is very low on tranny...a built 4r70w from lentech is about 5k itself then add,driveshaft,crossmember,and labor to install

i would do stock compression forged motor,ported heads,stage 2 turbo cams and then boost the shit out of when your ready..you forgot to add fuel system also..budget in $1600 for that when you do the turbo kit...

NewMach123

Established Member
are you going with a 2v or 4v?

i would keep compression stock or 9:1

your price is very low on tranny...a built 4r70w from lentech is about 5k itself then add,driveshaft,crossmember,and labor to install

i would do stock compression forged motor,ported heads,stage 2 turbo cams and then boost the shit out of when your ready..you forgot to add fuel system also..budget in $1600 for that when you do the turbo kit...

Was planning on a 2V because I am putting it into a GT and am not a huge fan of motor swaps, especially since I won't be doing the work :(

I thought the tranny quote was maybe a little low. As long as I can keep the parts under or around $12-14k I should be ok. I'm looking at a car now that has $4k in suspension done to it so that shouldn't need any extra work except for maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread