Rotella t6

04cobrawhine

Established Member
Done some research on the stuff and it seems a lot of guys are running it. It's a high hp turbo e85 car that doesn't get drivin much. I hear it doesn't break down with the high heat being a diesel oil and its good for the turbos. Are there any downsides of running it being a "diesel" oil?
Thanks!

MTBSully

Established Member
I run it in my GSXR, my turbo cobra, and my F350 powerstroke. Love it. 19.99 for 4 quarts at tractor supply. Cobra ran great all last year. Took valve cover off about july to swap to wrinkle blue ones and she looked like new inside. Can't really say if its any better, but the car ran smooth and without issue for 4000+ 700rwhp miles on a stock longblock. Going for 900-1000 this year, and I just did an oil change :D.

IMAG0454_zpsr3jegaij.jpg

LWniesz

Established Member
I knew some of the turbo guys ran this and swore by it. Much cheaper oil changes too.
Any negatives running it on a Eaton car?

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I've been running Rotella T 15w-40 for a while now and I absolutely love it. I've tried 5w30 Mobile 1, 5w30 Royal Purple and 5w50 Lucas. All have been full synthetic and I'd always get some smoke out of the exhaust, not a lot but enough to be annoying. I don't have excessive crank case pressure, my turbos are jetted and drain properly, and the crank case was properly vented and I still had a little smoking going on. The Rotella T completely cured that. Literally after the first oil change. It has a high Zink content so it promotes a better ring seal and it's not as slick as a full synthetic either. Even with the engine idling it's much quieter with the Rotella and seems like it has less valvetrain noise. I'm really happy with the Rotella. The weigh and type of oils I've ran were all approved by my engine builder, for a stock motor application I'd probably stick to 5w30.

masterjr33

Established Member
I run it in everything. Great stuff
1995 stealth RT TT
1995 GT 5.0
2003 GTI 1.8 T
2001 Saab 9-3 SE 2.0 T
2004 cobra.
2005 WRX

everything.

04cobrawhine

Established Member
I've been running Rotella T 15w-40 for a while now and I absolutely love it. I've tried 5w30 Mobile 1, 5w30 Royal Purple and 5w50 Lucas. All have been full synthetic and I'd always get some smoke out of the exhaust, not a lot but enough to be annoying. I don't have excessive crank case pressure, my turbos are jetted and drain properly, and the crank case was properly vented and I still had a little smoking going on. The Rotella T completely cured that. Literally after the first oil change. It has a high Zink content so it promotes a better ring seal and it's not as slick as a full synthetic either. Even with the engine idling it's much quieter with the Rotella and seems like it has less valvetrain noise. I'm really happy with the Rotella. The weigh and type of oils I've ran were all approved by my engine builder, for a stock motor application I'd probably stick to 5w30.

I believe the T6 is a full synthetic and is 5w-40. You just run the triple t?

LWniesz

Established Member
I knew some of the turbo guys ran this and swore by it. Much cheaper oil changes too.
Any negatives running it on a Eaton car?

I might try it the next round of oil changes. What weight should i go with for a stock 03 eaton car.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I'm nervous to try this on my build. I've had a few people highly recommend it, but being the wrong weight scares me.

Are our dohc heads inhibited from potential optimal movement speed/alacrity by the thicker 40wt? I've read tests where b heads were less efficient with 50wt vs 30wt oil.

Any one have data tests of oil weights and valvetrain results on c heads?

masterjr33

Established Member
you know the GT500 with the 4V Sc motor takes 5/50 synthetic.
and has the same style short block and heads as we do.

no reason a 5/40 wont be great for our engines. it will just cost you like .5 of a MPG going thicker.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
you know the GT500 with the 4V Sc motor takes 5/50 synthetic.
and has the same style short block and heads as we do.

no reason a 5/40 wont be great for our engines. it will just cost you like .5 of a MPG going thicker.

Fgt/gt500 heads are different than c heads. I have fgt heads now though. The compression ratios of a stock gt500 and my combo are close, I'm sitting about .3" shorter stroke though.

I wonder what prompted ford to switch from 5w20(iirc 03 cobra) to 5w50 (gt500). I'll do some reading and try to figure it all out. I gotta practice due diligence.

Thanks for the input, good reference point to compare and dig into, thanks.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I heard the oil passages in the heads are small and the oil doesn't travel well. I do know the newer mod motors had better drainback as per Livernois docs on their windage tray and drainbacks. I personally run 5-30, I've read on other forums engine builders notice increased valves train wear with heavier oils. I don't know I take it with a grain of salt I've seen many people swear by T6.

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
Mihovetz told me the Ford GT lifters and followers have larger oil passages allowing you to run heavier weight oil. I'm sure the bearing clearances are also set up for the weight of the oil.

Users who are viewing this thread