Rotor + Caliper Change

smilinjack

Established Member
Okay, had my L for 8 yrs. now and have changed everything under the sun! Last year I put on the 15" Bogarts and obviously had to grind the Sh#@!t out of the stock calipers to fit. Problem is they really overheat due to thiness of metal now. Has anybody out there downsized their rotors and calipers to, say, 15" or 16" to accommodate the smaller wheels without all the grinding and "thinning" of the calipers? I think I would trust smaller brakes more than the larger and "thinner" calipers caused by the grinding. Thanks, Jack

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I assume you are only talking about the rear brakes. I've always thought that if I got 15" wheels for the drag strip I would just take the two rear caliper bolts out and safety wire the calipers out of the way with a proper thickness spacer safety wired between the pads to keep the pistons from popping out and losing line pressure. That would give the clearance needed and the rear brakes aren't necessary at the drag strip anyways (well unless you are running some serious times). JMO and I usually do things not quite the right (but cheap) way.

Last edited:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Why not get some race brakes?

I don't know if you were talking to me or not, but assuming you were:

I don't want to switch out my rear brakes for something smaller because I go to the road course more than I go to the drag strip and it has taken me long enough figuring out how to make the stock brakes survive in that environment that I really don't feel like changing them again unless it's for bigger ones, not smaller ones:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread