Rotor Pad Combo For A Heavy Terminator- Need Advice

NGO

Established Member
Last time out at Sebring, I warped a stock set of rotors and went thru a set of Hawk DTC70. This time out, I had a brand new set of slotted rotors and DTC70, cracked the passenger sider rotor, pads are spent. I bedded them per procedure.

What rotor pad combo do you guys recommend for a 3600 lb '03 Cobra? Thanks

Greensix

Established Member
Last time out at Sebring, I warped a stock set of rotors and went thru a set of Hawk DTC70. This time out, I had a brand new set of slotted rotors and DTC70, cracked the passenger sider rotor, pads are spent. I bedded them per procedure.

What rotor pad combo do you guys recommend for a 3600 lb '03 Cobra? Thanks

I had a good friend with a stock Mach 1 (around 3800-4000) that would eat through rotors and pads. I think he cracked three in one weekend. The swap to Full Tilt Boogie slotted rotors helps a good bit for pad wear as he was torching a set of DTC-70s each weekend at Road Atlanta. He has since sold the car but once you get to a certain level (actually being able to drive 10/10s for more than a few laps) you will eat pads and rotors on a car that heavy with the stock calipers.

Before he sold the car, we determined that we needed more cooling (4" vs 3" cooling ducts) and possibly moving to a 14" brake kit. Unfortunately it is just silly expensive to track a car that heavy. If you ever go to a Continental Tire race, look at the braking equipment on the Mustangs and Camaros. They spend some serious coin to be able to keep the brakes working for a full race at the weights they have to run.

As a comparison, my old car (2900# with driver and 300ish hp) would go 3 weekends on a set of pads and a full season on a set of autozone blank rotors.

NGO

Established Member
How many track days have you done? What tires are you running?

If you are new to track days you may be overusing the brakes.

Just finished my 8th track day at Sebring, so I know the track really well. Have some really good instruction from a Sebring veteran. I am way late in my braking zones now and on don't trail brake except for a little in 17. I am running NT 01s 275 with 8 heat cycles.

Car has 3" brake ducts with factory rotors and calipers. Actually the calipers work pretty good with DTC 70s. Understand I will probably have to upgrade or go to a lighter car if I want to go faster ;) and cheaper on the consumables.

Thought maybe someone had a secret sauce for this setup that I could live with for now. I have seriously thought about trading this car for something that is track friendly but damn I love this car, don't see too many of them around.

Last edited:

jg61354

Established Member
I talked to you at the NASA event a couple weeks ago, red/orange 2000GT. I run the 13" Cobra R fronts with DTC-70 pads. I run Hoosier R6's and the car weighs 3300lbs w/me in it. I typically get two full weekends on one set of pads and I just replaced the rotors after 10 track days. Good luck in getting it worked out.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
What brand of rotors have you been using? I would only use Brembo blank rotors (2003-2004 OEM) or Centric high carbon series 125 blanks.

Unless you go two piece rotors, don't use anything else.

It sounds like you have a decent setup, but yes Cobras are hard on consumables. My current track car is over 1000 lbs lighter than my Cobra was and life is a lot more simple now :)

Last edited:

NGO

Established Member
I talked to you at the NASA event a couple weeks ago, red/orange 2000GT. I run the 13" Cobra R fronts with DTC-70 pads. I run Hoosier R6's and the car weighs 3300lbs w/me in it. I typically get two full weekends on one set of pads and I just replaced the rotors after 10 track days. Good luck in getting it worked out.

It was nice to meet you Jim. The wear you are experiencing is kinda what I was expecting. But I guess that is unrealistic, I'm 500 lbs heavier than your set up. It was fun running with you and Eric or should I say trying to run with :)

What brand of rotors have you been using? I would only use Brembo blank rotors (2003-2004 OEM) or Centric high carbon series 125 blanks.

Unless you go two piece rotors, don't use anything else.

It sounds like you have a decent setup, but yes Cobras are hard on consumables. My current track car is over 1000 lbs lighter than my Cobra was and life is a lot more simple now :)

I must admit I was running a brand new set of slotted rotors from Brake Performance that ran me $125 per pair. I guess you get what you pay for. I am going to give the Centrics a shot! Thanks everybody for the advice. See you in Daytona!

Last edited:

WPBcobra

Established Member
It is time for a upgrade. when i had my 03 cobra i would crack a rotor 1 or 2 times a weekend. I upgraded to the 00 cobra R calipers and a rotor would last me 2 full weekends and sometimes a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread