Rough idle after adding stabil?

phack

Established Member
Before putting my car away for the winter yesterday I added 5 oz of stabil to a fresh full tank of 93 octane. I started it up and the idle was stumbling. It would dip low and then catch itself. I drove it slowly around the block and by the time I got back it seemed ok. Has anyone ever experienced this before? The tank of gas was fine prior to adding the stabil.

chuckstang

Established Member
I just put stabil in with full tank of 93 as I put it away for winter, but just ran it for 5 min after like the bottle says. I noticed nothing odd.

kevinp

Established Member
I have had my 2011 for a year now and different gas from different stations, different times of the year (blend changes) and using 100% gasoline or E10 really changes the idle qualities even when it was stock.

These things run very lean at idle, mine never idled perfect stock, NA with various tunes or with the blower. It always seemed like it wanted to die out at times, especially after a hot restart or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic for a while. If its was good gas from a large station and the stabil was fresh I wouldnt lose much sleep over it.

phack

Established Member
It may have been because it wasn't fully warmed up. I basically just started it and backed it out of the garage right away. I will see whats up in the spring when I restart it. It just seemed odd that it never did this before and then did it right after I added the Stabil.

BryanW

Established Member
I have never used stabil in a car that was fuel injected that I put away for the winter.

+1 Even on my 67 firebird that sits for a extended period of time never gets fuel stabil. The car does a lot of sitting, but gets out and runs fine. Been that way since dad bought it in 1970

If the car is inside, i dont think you need it.
Full tank is a great idea

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
+1 Even on my 67 firebird that sits for a extended period of time never gets fuel stabil. The car does a lot of sitting, but gets out and runs fine. Been that way since dad bought it in 1970

If the car is inside, i dont think you need it.
Full tank is a great idea

Go on moar with this firebird... :D

Sent from inside a shipping container.

BryanW

Established Member
Go on moar with this firebird... :D

Sent from inside a shipping container.

1 repaint in 1979

firebird007.jpg

firebird010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread