Rough idle, drop in rpms? What causes this?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
Okay, well its texas and it has been below freezing the past week or so and i installed the new sct chip and re positioned the maf and a couple days later i started her up and the idle seemed fine for a second then it got realy rough and bouncy and started to drop below 500 and i could here it trying to stay alive so i turned it off turned it back on still rough idle around 750rpm but it seemed fine? It seems to do this the last 3 times i've started my car? I just rev it a bit, is it just because its freezing cold outside lol and the engine is cold? Have not noticed this before but then again it doesnt get to cold in texas like it is now! Anyone else have this problem, could my MAF be leaking out a bit since i drilled some new holes to re position it?

torquefreak

Established Member
What made you change the position of the MAF? That can throw off the a/f. Did you have a dyno tune done?

BruntzySVT

Established Member
torquefreak said:
What made you change the position of the MAF? That can throw off the a/f. Did you have a dyno tune done?
Was told it needed to go back to stock position at 10 o clock rather then 12 where it was after putting on the FIPK in order for the a/f to be right with the tune

torquefreak

Established Member
Most are set to the 12 position with the k&n Fipk, Mine included. I have a dyno tune done for that position so no problems. Might be a leak you need to check for as you mentioned.

BruntzySVT

Established Member
SA SNAKE said:
Sounds like some kind of leak. Check around the MAF and around the TB. Sometimes that comes loose.

Gil
Hey, how will i know if its leaking? how do i fix it? Can i slap some silicon on there?

redline

Established Member
your maf probably had oil from the air filter cleaner on it causing your problem :coolman:

SICKBOY

Established Member
redline said:
your maf probably had oil from the air filter cleaner on it causing your problem :coolman:

the above makes since so does a leak...isn't the FIPK designed to run the MAF at 12? does it run like shit at 12o'clock? I tend to feel that the stock position is best...but that is my opinion

Last edited:

jimh

Established Member
BruntzySVT said:
Hey, how will i know if its leaking? how do i fix it? Can i slap some silicon on there?

Get a can of quick start and spray it around the area you suspect there may be a leak. See if it the idle changes. If it changes you have a leak where you're spraying.

Users who are viewing this thread