Rough shifting in 01 Cobra tranny

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
Anybody out there experience rough shifting with their 01 Cobra with a TR-3650, specifically when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Mine is tough to put into 2nd, especially when the car is cold. There is no grinding - it just "clunks" in, but i gotta fish it in hard. After 10-15 min of driving, the shifting smooths out.

I know there was one or two TSB issued by Ford for shifting problems on the Cobra. One of them had to do with shiftforks that were out of spec. In another TSB, Ford advised dealers to just replace the whole transmission.

Can anybody out there share their experience with this type of problem? Has anybody taken their Cobra in to the dealer to correct this?

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Understang
Anybody out there experience rough shifting with their 01 Cobra with a TR-3650, specifically when shifting from 1st to 2nd? Mine is tough to put into 2nd, especially when the car is cold. There is no grinding - it just "clunks" in, but i gotta fish it in hard. After 10-15 min of driving, the shifting smooths out.

I know there was one or two TSB issued by Ford for shifting problems on the Cobra. One of them had to do with shiftforks that were out of spec. In another TSB, Ford advised dealers to just replace the whole transmission.

Can anybody out there share their experience with this type of problem? Has anybody taken their Cobra in to the dealer to correct this?

All I know is the trannies suck in my experience....I'm on my third and I've talked to a couple other owners who actually returned theirs under the lemon law for their trannies......but I see a T56 in my future.....

01cobrakid

Got DoHc?
Established Member
I have the same problem with my car and only when it is cold.
But after it warms up its fine and I usaully let my car warm up for
5-10 mins. before I drive it. You could take it to the dealer and see
what they say, my guess would be "oh its normal for that to happen when its cold out" Let me know how it turns out?

Mike

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
They will do bout nothing.. The best you can expect is the shift fork update.. I have had so many problems that it isn't funny.. They have taken apart my trans more times than I can remember... Oh well. It is a bit rough shifting now but it works... They will not just replace anything anylonger.. Ford will replace parts when a new model year or style comes out.. Ussually for the first few onths to take apart the offending part and analize the issue and see if it warrants a major fix... After that they just take apart and try to fix it at the dealer...

Understang

Slightly Mad
Established Member
I have the same problem with my car and only when it is cold.
But after it warms up its fine and I usaully let my car warm up for
5-10 mins. before I drive it.

Could the need to warm it up mean that the tranny fluid has not reached optimum temperature (i.e. viscosity)? If so, maybe using a different fluid may help. Anybody experimented with different tranny fluids?

BTW, I thought you gotta actually drive it and put the tranny through the motions to get the tranny fluid temp up. I'm gonna try running the engine with the car still and see if that works too.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by Understang
BTW, I thought you gotta actually drive it and put the tranny through the motions to get the tranny fluid temp up.

Not necessarily, you can have the engine running, and the heat will get transferred to the transmission eventually, but it will take a bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread