Roush style side exhaust & introduction

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
Hey guys, new forum member here. I'm sorry, but this will be a long post, I'm not sure how to really make it short. I thought a short introduction would be appropriate with my first post of the forums. My name is Steve, I'm located in Worcester, Massachusetts. I just purchased a 2001 Cobra Convertible, triple black, with full Roush Body kit, lowered, and a Roush side exhaust (this is my posting reason, withtan intro). This is my third Mustang, first 4v. I have to say, boy these 4 valves live at the higher end of their band, I'm in love! I had a GT, which I'm selling right now, and a v6 convertible before that. I've been lurking the forums, browsing, and looking for the answer to my question and couldn't find a scenario like mine. Figured now was a good time to make an account and introduce myself as well.

I shortened this. Basically I removed the long explanation. All I need to know is if a true dual setup without the connecting pipe on an aftermarket H pipe will be as good as having the connecting pipe in the H pipe.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
No. The H or X pipe balances the exhaust. Plus it won't sound as good with straight pipes.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
I thought as much. I've got a Roush style side exhaust, and they chopped off some of the factory H-pipe to make it fit. So I wasn't sure if I could just do the same to the new H-pipe, but looks like I'll have to relocate some parts under there.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Welcome, post pics when you get a chance.

And as slo984now says, you will want a crossover between the 2 banks of cylinders. Even if you can't make it fit, any decent exhaust shop would be able to make an aftermarket H or X-pipe fit.

CammyTheCobra

Established Member
It'll require welding, which I don't have access to at my house. The way they did it is nice, they did a good job. The problem is, they cut the flanges off the factory H-pipe so now the entire exhaust system is one piece. So it's not easily accessible. Part of my reasoning to replacing the stock H-pipe, besides the usual performance and sound is, to put new flanges on the existing side exhaust sections, and then bolt it up to the new aftermarket H-pipe, so it will be easily accessible to remove sections if need be, in the future. Making true dual would have been easier that's all. Straight pipes, weld some flanges and done. I guess I'll be going with the after market H-pipe and modifying the new exhaust and figuring out a way to make the whole section fit, with the mufflers and flanges in place. Looks like I'll be working closely with the exhaust shop, to get it my way.

BTW, thanks for the welcome, where is the section to post up pictures?

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
You can post them here. You'll have to use a site like Photobucket to host them.

Users who are viewing this thread