Roush supercharger for my 5.0 automatic.

rm2092

Established Member
To start out with I have a 2012 5.0 automatic and I was thinking of going with a Roush Phase 1 supercharger because of the price. Today I called two Roush Ford dealers for pricing and install but since its Saturday I guess I'll have to call back Monday ?

Few questions I have does the PCM need to be sent to Roush to be programmed or could a tune just be loaded on to the SCT tuner that I have already for the car ? Anyways this is something new to me also is there anything else I need to know before purchasing one and if there is any one in the New Orleans area that can recommend a shop for the install oh ya just thought about it I heard if with the phase 1 kit you retain the factory warranty ?
Ill also take any other recommendations for other brand supercharges.

Thanks....

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
A lot of people will push you towards the Tuner kit which requires an SCT custom tune, CAI etc. It is cheaper though to start out with. If you know you want to keep adding to the SC to get teh most out of it and push for more power than the Tuner kit is the way to go.
If you want to keep the warranty then the Phase kits are the way to go. The Phase 1 kit does not have a powertrain warranty but you CAN buy the warranty for $325.

The Phase 2 & 3 kits don't really come with a warranty but they do come with the ROUSH calibration tune which is very conservative and will NOT cause issues to your powertrain as is. You start messing with it though with adding things that will require a custom tune and you will start to mess things up with the stock calibration. you can do things like mufflers and DS, shorty headers etc. but nothing like a CAI, TB, smaller pulley or removing the cats.

Thats the reason I went with the 625 hp Phase 2 kit. Enough power & it has a smaller pulley and CAI from ROUSH. It will tide me over for a little while. it took 36hrs to send out my PCM and get it back form Livonia Michigan (ROUSH Perf)
the sc was installed in 10 hrs.

I will PM you some more info.

heres a few pics of my setup....CLICK on pics for larger:
th_Screenshot_2013-04-30-09-21-56.png
th_935606_4819706298150_1412537720_n.jpg
th_262310_4819706978167_633056469_n.jpg
th_DSCN0300_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
Great choice!!

I will be there with you in Jan, but I have been researching for months.

Call these guys:

http://www.brenspeed.com/

They are a top retailer in Roush. Get a list of questions and call the, and they will take time to discuss with you. IMO, the best route is to use the SCT and get a dyno tune. The PCM flash is for the standard calibration is no good if you make subsequent changes. I believe that is more for retaining warranties where offered.

GOOD LUCK!!

RC

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
So if I use my SCT tuner I would avoid sending the PCM in to be flashed ?
If you want to do that then just get the Tuner package and get the email tune from your choice of vendors. You will save a little bit by having your own SCT tuner already. Warranty is gone though and be careful for cyl #8 issues...some say that is no longer a problem but people have been popping up recently with it again.

rm2092

Established Member
Oh shit on that number #8, so I guess if I have Roush flash the PCM I should be ok with a warranty then.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Oh shit on that number #8, so I guess if I have Roush flash the PCM I should be ok with a warranty then.

a conservative tune from someone like vmp should be pretty safe. i rather get the tuner kit my self.

RC-5.0

Established Member

I agree with Manolith. Just get a reputable tune or better yet get a dyno tune from someone you trust. Dont push the setup to the upper limits just because it "may" reach the highest HP number possible for the mods. If you get a good local dyno tune, they should be able to support future mods for you with little or no up-charge.

Good Luck
RC

rm2092

Established Member
Thanks sounds like a no brainer to get the Phase 2 for another $500.00 and also comes with the CAI kit. I assume our motors will handle 625hp with no hick ups ?

nicksender

Established Member
I would go for any of the tuner kit packages and a custom tune from the often mentioned respected vendors.

I don't think the Roush warranty for any of their kits are going to apply on a car like yours that is already tuned; if it's the same car as in your sig?

I think the warranties they offer are only available to those with 100% stock vehicles; if I read the disclaimers correctly a while back.

Good luck with whatever you do; the Roush supercharger kits are great.

ghostrider7953

Established Member
625 at the crank ; about 540 rwhp. I was told by several vendors that keeping the rwhp under 600 ( without building bottom end & injector upgrades) is the safe way to go. I have the Roush 625 upgrade and was disappointed with the tune. Roush has to tune for the masses and probably double safe for $$$ reasons / reliability . Jdm has a deal for the Roush CAI and their toon. Nicks sez is his handle on this forum.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Thanks sounds like a no brainer to get the Phase 2 for another $500.00 and also comes with the CAI kit. I assume our motors will handle 625hp with no hick ups ?

I have not heard of any problems with a good tune if the RWHP is kept below 600HP..that means plenty of fuel and knock sensors functioning properly with not so over-aggressive timing, and making sure you use good fuel!

RC

rm2092

Established Member
625 at the crank ; about 540 rwhp. I was told by several vendors that keeping the rwhp under 600 ( without building bottom end & injector upgrades) is the safe way to go. I have the Roush 625 upgrade and was disappointed with the tune. Roush has to tune for the masses and probably double safe for $$$ reasons / reliability . Jdm has a deal for the Roush CAI and their toon. Nicks sez is his handle on this forum.

I see your a Westbanker also, I'm in Gretna so who did your install ?
Would love to meet up and see your car ?

Ill_W1N

Established Member
Call eric with jpcracing and get their stage 2 kit. Comes with id1000's and a bap. Cai is a waste the stock air box is fine with that power level. call shaun with AED and get it tuned. Youll be a happy camper.

FIFTY

Established Member
Call eric with jpcracing and get their stage 2 kit. Comes with id1000's and a bap. Cai is a waste the stock air box is fine with that power level. call shaun with AED and get it tuned. Youll be a happy camper.

How are you liking that TVS bud?

rm2092

Established Member
Calling StangHi Monday morning in Baton Rouge since there a Roush dealer and hope they can work out a nice package deal for me and also calling my two local Ford dealers and see what can offer me ?

Users who are viewing this thread