Roush Supercharger

acrbill

Established Member
I am considering installing a supercharger on my 2011 and I have it narrowed down between a procharger and the roush. I would like to go with the Ford Whipple but it does not fit my budget.
The Procharger seems pretty cut and dry but I like the idea of OEM type reliability of a positive displacement blower.

With the Roush kit comes with "ROUSH calibrated Powertrain Control Module"

Any idea what that entails? To me it sounds like a whole new ECU but that hardly makes sense.

Also, I was reading 5.0 magazine online where it outlined the install and showed that you have to cut off parts of the timing cover. I hate the thought of doing non reversible modifications to my new car. I am just looking for someone to reassure me.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I am looking into the new KB ,New Liquid cooled 2.8 interesting. Things like Grinding timing cover,,cutting up engine cover,, Placement of Air Filter turns me off also...

03roush

01 Roush Stage 3 #106
Established Member
The "ROUSH calibrated Powertrain Control Module" is normally you send your Ecu to Roush and they will recalibrate it for there supercharger for you car.

acrbill

Established Member
The "ROUSH calibrated Powertrain Control Module" is normally you send your Ecu to Roush and they will recalibrate it for there supercharger for you car.

Bah! screw that noise. That is just ridiculous in this day and age.

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
Or you can buy the supercharger and have your local dyno tuning facility tune it for you. :shrug:

kevinp

Established Member
Or you can buy the supercharger and have your local dyno tuning facility tune it for you. :shrug:

+1

Buy the 'tuner kit' and have VMP or another tuner make you a tune. I mention VMP because thy have their Roush/TVS car running pretty well.

I'm looking to do a blower soon, my plus and minus list:

Procharger, priced right, easy install/uninstall. I'm not liking ditching the PCV and replacing the factory fan and shroud on the stage 2 brings back nightmares of the same thing with the LS1 f-body kits of overheating with the A/C on.

Roush, looks OEM, like the drive on the a/c pulley. Most likely wont need to swap torque converters, more 'fun' factor with a PD blower. Downside is grinding the cover, its going to be pretty obvious if you go to sell it or trade it in if you demod it.

FRPP, looks good all around but costs a bit more than the Roush.

KB looks good except for blowing a big hole in the sheetmetal for the air intake. plus the air intake looks a little too exposed to the elements for a DD. It would be nice if they made an intake that didnt require the giant hole in the inner fender as an option.

Vortech, looks like a decent kit but it really looks stuffed in there, the air intake looks a little restrictive as well. Smaller centris are really touchy on inlet restrictions.

So far i'm leaning towards the Roush with a VMP tune (already have and SCT SF3) but I'm waiting to see what the e-force pricing will be like before I pull the trigger on anything..

Bad Intention

Established Member
If you are looking for info on the Roush blower give Justin @ VMP a call he has the most time and R&D do date. His car is running low 10's with that blower and few other mods.

grnenvy

Established Member
Hmm

You couldn't of said it any better.
I like the Roush blower and Procharger the best.

+1

Buy the 'tuner kit' and have VMP or another tuner make you a tune. I mention VMP because thy have their Roush/TVS car running pretty well.

I'm looking to do a blower soon, my plus and minus list:

Procharger, priced right, easy install/uninstall. I'm not liking ditching the PCV and replacing the factory fan and shroud on the stage 2 brings back nightmares of the same thing with the LS1 f-body kits of overheating with the A/C on.

Roush, looks OEM, like the drive on the a/c pulley. Most likely wont need to swap torque converters, more 'fun' factor with a PD blower. Downside is grinding the cover, its going to be pretty obvious if you go to sell it or trade it in if you demod it.

FRPP, looks good all around but costs a bit more than the Roush.

KB looks good except for blowing a big hole in the sheetmetal for the air intake. plus the air intake looks a little too exposed to the elements for a DD. It would be nice if they made an intake that didnt require the giant hole in the inner fender as an option.

Vortech, looks like a decent kit but it really looks stuffed in there, the air intake looks a little restrictive as well. Smaller centris are really touchy on inlet restrictions.

So far i'm leaning towards the Roush with a VMP tune (already have and SCT SF3) but I'm waiting to see what the e-force pricing will be like before I pull the trigger on anything..

lsp408

Established Member
You couldn't of said it any better.
I like the Roush blower and Procharger the best.

Blue oval has roush charger for sale for 5299.

its for sure alot of money no matter which you choose.

Exactly what is the different between whipple, roush, and FRPP?

from what I read 5.0 magazine, all PD blower need to cut thingy off timing cover.

kevinp

Established Member
Blue oval has roush charger for sale for 5299.

its for sure alot of money no matter which you choose.

Exactly what is the different between whipple, roush, and FRPP?

from what I read 5.0 magazine, all PD blower need to cut thingy off timing cover.

I dont think the FRPP needs any grinding, but I havent ran across the install instructions.

Roush uses a TVS blower made by eaton.

FRPP uses a whipple supercharger.

Google each and you can see the difference between them.

That 5299.00 price is lower than anyone else I have seen, thats for the complete kit with tuning (manual trans only because of programming I assume), not sure if thats the correct price or not. If thats the right price it seems like a good deal.

I havent got that much into pricing any of them yet to be honest..

acrbill

Established Member
It does:(. I skimmed the 67 pages of instructions.

Mika

That makes me feel better about doing it since the ford kit requires it. I have a SCT tuner and could just go with a VMP mail order tune .

I would go with the ford kid if I could find a place that offered one year no interest on it. The ford kit has engine saving features built into the tune which is really nice if the intercoolers water pump breaks and the supercharger is pumping superheated air into a high compression motor.

kevinp

Established Member
That makes me feel better about doing it since the ford kit requires it. I have a SCT tuner and could just go with a VMP mail order tune .

I would go with the ford kid if I could find a place that offered one year no interest on it. The ford kit has engine saving features built into the tune which is really nice if the intercoolers water pump breaks and the supercharger is pumping superheated air into a high compression motor.

I'm sure aftermarket tuners pull a bunch of timing if the IAT or ECT gets too hot, not sure what the Ford tune does other than that to help prevent damage. Thats the nice thing about A2A intercoolers, nothing to fail unless it cracks or a hose pops off - that wont blow up your car though.

I'm still curious on the e-force, its uses a 2.3 TVS and they will most likely offer a powertrain warranty if you care about such things.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I dont think the FRPP needs any grinding, but I havent ran across the install instructions.

Roush uses a TVS blower made by eaton.

FRPP uses a whipple supercharger.

Google each and you can see the difference between them.

That 5299.00 price is lower than anyone else I have seen, thats for the complete kit with tuning (manual trans only because of programming I assume), not sure if thats the correct price or not. If thats the right price it seems like a good deal.

I havent got that much into pricing any of them yet to be honest..

The Roush and FRPP units use the same lower and intercooler setup so installation will be the same for both.

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread