Roush upgrades

Zevox

Established Member
Wanting to add some power to my 2014 RS3 and looking for input.

I've pretty much decided to drop to an 82mm pulley and probably the VMP 90mm idler. Aside from that I want a CAI but am insure of which to get. It's between the roush cai and JLT 123mm. I've heard some fitment issues with the JLT and the glaring problem of rain getting into it from the hood vents. The roush is a lot more expensive but says the little shield is supposed to keep the rain out, anyone with experience please chime in since that's the big selling point of the roush for me.

Is there anything else I should look into right now? Thinking about an o/r H but I don't want my roush axle backs to sound like crap so I'm torn about cat deletes... Trying to not make the mistake I did with my last car and make it so loud insiinside the car that I started to dislike driving it...

Last thing, how is VMP as a tuner? Since they aren't that far away I was thinking about letting them install the parts and tune it while it's there. My other option is using Tuners Inc and throwing the parts on myself.

cb900f

Established Member
Wanting to add some power to my 2014 RS3 and looking for input.

I've pretty much decided to drop to an 82mm pulley and probably the VMP 90mm idler. Aside from that I want a CAI but am insure of which to get. It's between the roush cai and JLT 123mm. I've heard some fitment issues with the JLT and the glaring problem of rain getting into it from the hood vents. The roush is a lot more expensive but says the little shield is supposed to keep the rain out, anyone with experience please chime in since that's the big selling point of the roush for me.

Is there anything else I should look into right now? Thinking about an o/r H but I don't want my roush axle backs to sound like crap so I'm torn about cat deletes... Trying to not make the mistake I did with my last car and make it so loud insiinside the car that I started to dislike driving it...

Last thing, how is VMP as a tuner? Since they aren't that far away I was thinking about letting them install the parts and tune it while it's there. My other option is using Tuners Inc and throwing the parts on myself.

If you are running a 90mm now, you can move down to the 82mm without an issue. You don't need a new idler either.

JLT is a decent CAI, fitment is a bit rough to get right. Flows the most. Roush CAI is nice, but expensive.... Rain shouldn't hurt it.

OR/X or H will make a good difference, along with an aftermarket tune.

IMO, no one will respect your car as much as you do. Install the parts yourself if you can. It's enjoyable. Again, that's IMO. You can still do an email tune from VMP or get it dyno tuned there.

AED is another GREAT tuner. He will make it run fantastic.

stanger1

Established Member
I had a 2011 RS2 that was Roushcharged and tuned by VMP. Stock air box. It was an auto trans and it ran really good and strong, Tran shift firm and still got 24 MPG on the highway.
Any time I needed a change, i would just call them up and a new tune would be emailed with the changes, so I highly recommend VMP.
Now I have a 2012 RS3 with the Roush Phase 3 kit and yes, it runs strong, but I may go up to an 82MM pulley and have VMP tune it also.
The Roush CAI does seem to function great for my HP. Good design and well constructed. No issues at all with it.

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
You could probably achieve that with the stock blower pulley and just a tune and CAI. Or, if you didn't want a CAI, keep the stock airbox and just put a 82mm in there or something. That would land you in that range too I think.

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Very cool. I only wanted to be around 550-575rwhp. Lol all that might be overkill for me.

My car made 575whp with an 85mm...
Someone already beat me to it, but I was going to say skip the idler pulley. I've ran a 82 & 79 with the same belt that came with my 85 kit.

I have a brand new Roush CAI that came with my kit I'd sell cheap (I went with the JLT). I'll also be selling my 82 & 79mm pulleys. I'm going with an 8rib 69mm E85 set up for next year...

Zevox

Established Member
My car made 575whp with an 85mm...
Someone already beat me to it, but I was going to say skip the idler pulley. I've ran a 82 & 79 with the same belt that came with my 85 kit.

I have a brand new Roush CAI that came with my kit I'd sell cheap (I went with the JLT). I'll also be selling my 82 & 79mm pulleys. I'm going with an 8rib 69mm E85 set up for next year...

Cheap you say... sounds like my price range lol. I'll send you a message.

BrianH87

Established Member
I don't know if there a big difference in boost between a 90 and 85 pulley, but I would start with a VMP tune. An easy 50 hp gain. All I'm running is the phase 1 kit and a VMP tune. My kit is the newer one with an 85 instead of the old 90. Even with only a tune you'll be happy for a while.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
I had a ROUSH Stg2 625 kit and I liked it but the ROUSH calibration is garbage compared to the VMP!
I had 540hp/453tq on the ROUSH. ROUSH CAI.
Switched to a VMP Tune and 82mm and was at 600hp ish.

DSCN0681_zpsd1c21791.png

nzimmer6649

Established Member

I had the Roush axle backs and went off-road H.... It was like that for 30 whole minutes! Stock mufflers went back on until I could figure something else out. Roush A/B plus no cats was OBNOXIOUSLY LOUD!!

zinc03svt

Big Red
Established Member
I once again, highly recommend VMP for tuning. No fan boyz here, just straight up great tuning and service.

Users who are viewing this thread