Roushcharged 2011 5.0 Drag Strip Results

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well, its been a harrowing 3 days, but we did it...

On Friday morning we started installing a new Roush 2.3L TVS blower kit on our 2011 5.0L automatic. Steve Turner from 5.0 Mustang and Superfords magazine came over to shoot the install. We've been testing/tuning on this car NA over the past 2 months with the goal of eventually getting blown. The time had finally come to put the blower on. At first I was kind of sad to see the car loose its stock intake manifold, we had ran some great times NA (12.33 on stock airbox & gears). However, after the results of the blower install, dyno, and track test I am absolutely thrilled! We have taken an essentially stock automatic Mustang GT, bolted on a supercharger, and my wife Rebecca has turned amazing drag strip times with it. All in a weekend's time to boot.

The install on Friday morning got off to a good start. The intake manifold came off pretty quickly, the 5.0L is relatively easy to work on. We started on the front cover modification for the supercharger FEAD system and had that done before lunch. We hit a little snag and had to wait for some parts to be overnighted for Saturday delivery, but continued to work on other little details like the wiring harness extensions and heat exchanger fitment.

The parts arrived on Saturday and we got the rest of the car together, unfortunately it was too late to get it on the dyno.

On Sunday morning we got the car up on my Dynojet 224xLC chassis dyno for tuning. WOT and part throttle tuning went well.

By noon we had both kids loaded up in the back seat and were making the 35 mile drive to Orlando Speed World for a test session. It was a sweltering 95F day in Florida. We got to the track with 1/2 tank of 93, dropped the tire pressure in the 265/40/18 MT DRs to 20psi, and let the car cool down. We began making runs and did some transmission shift point tuning while at the track. With cooldowns between runs we were able to keep the coolant temp around 200-210F and downstream air temps around 140F. This wasn't great for power but it's all we had to work with. On the last run of the day everything came together, Rebecca launched great, the track hooked, and the car hit every shift just right while going down the track. Check out the video for the results!

Click here for the video:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AMWMfszW9g"]YouTube - First Roush-Charged 5.0 Mustang at the Drag Strip[/nomedia]

The best part is anyone can re-create this combination with a 2011 Mustang GT, some LCAs, drag radials, and the Roush blower kit. We have the blower kits in stock and the tuning ready to go.

Look for the installation article and dyno results in an upcoming issue of 5.0 Mustang and Superfords Magazine!

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Nice work Justin

youtube is blocked for me... someone post the ET and traps please

TY

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
thanks guys! damn... makes me hate my 3V now....

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Wow! Only 5psi? Damn, 7psi and headers would get this car in deep 10's! Amazing

It is a 10 second car the way it sits.
The DA was over 2500, 92* and there were 2 baby seats in the back.
All is needs is a little basic weight reduction and some good weather.
Easy 10s!!!
The greatest thing is the the car is driven by Justin's wife Rebecca!
I'm jealous. My wife hates my car.

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
makes me wonder what the FRPP 9 psi kit and any turbo kits will do. GREAT, not good, numbers. A+++ VMP.

kingnut

Established Member
great time! especially for 95 degree muggy weather. is it just me or is the 60' kinda high for that setup?

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Great times Justin/Rebecca! With some L/T's, gears, and colder weather....this car is going to run as strong as the your Shelby!

Users who are viewing this thread