RPMROLLBAR installed in "M" car

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I am considering welding a cup on the outside of my swing out bar so I don't have to use a bolt. See section 20,page 27 paragraph B of 2011 NHRA rule book.

" A half cup backing device must be welded to the verticle portion of the main hoop (inward side) or the upper end of the swing out bar on the outward side.'

Interesting, I never noticed that "or" part of the rule; guess I was wrong in my last post as I interprited the rule as it being manditory to have it on the inside of the hoops extension for the door bar. What I'm picturing just doesn't seem like it would be as safe though. Then again, I guess the impact pressure points are the same either way, just in the oposite direction. If it's legal and provides the same protection, I'd think it would be much more asthetic and maybe a little less intrusive when the bar is out of the car. Wonder why it's not done more often?

Blackmax

Established Member
Interesting, I never noticed that "or" part of the rule; guess I was wrong in my last post as I interprited the rule as it being manditory to have it on the inside of the hoops extension for the door bar. What I'm picturing just doesn't seem like it would be as safe though. Then again, I guess the impact pressure points are the same either way, just in the oposite direction. If it's legal and provides the same protection, I'd think it would be much more asthetic and maybe a little less intrusive when the bar is out of the car. Wonder why it's not done more often?

I'm not sure because it would be less obtrusive. For some reason the fabricators here use the clevis type without a cup but this requires a grade 5 bolt now. This is why I will get a cup welded on my swing out. They do change rules and wording every year , a lot of guys will never pass tech if the person enforces all the rules.

Can you imagine of some ones clutch blew up or their rear end let go and you hurt a spectator or even took out the car beside them ?

serickson1

sericksonGT500
Established Member
Hey Jake glad to here your bar is in, the pics look great. Sounds like the install went pretty smooth. You guys made good time getting it installed in eight hours.....nice work. The foot recievers look like they might get in the way in pictures but they are not a problem at all once installed in the car. I'm 6'3" and have never had an issue with the foot pad when getting in and out. The back bar is curved to give the stock seats a full range of motion. The original design had the back bar straight but really limited your seat adjustment for both the driver and passenger. Even if you can get it just right for the driver a taller passenger would get jammed. The design of the swing out reciever allows you to use pins instead of having to bolt your clevis joint. They want a double shear reciever and 180 degree protection welded within 8" of the main hoop between the driver and the bar incase of the pin shearing in a side impact or roll over. I know you guys have heard me say this a bunch but why order a bar you have to pay somebody to weld in, or make a bunch of modifications to when you can bolt this bar in and go racing.

Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
What would you like to see oh good sir. I forgot about this thread.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
What would you like to see oh good sir. I forgot about this thread.

LOL, no worries Jake, I've seen the pics from other places to get a better feel.

QQ - you had the floor plates welded in correct?

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Its powdercoated. Pretty tough. I see you are at Ft. Lewis (go rangers)
I think RPM is in WA too

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Its powdercoated. Pretty tough. I see you are at Ft. Lewis (go rangers)
I think RPM is in WA too
Just found out they're in Newberg, OR. 2 1/2 hrs away

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Any pics of the rear?

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Pic of the rear bars off the main hoop. x2 on that, i havent seen this on the rpm bar's

Users who are viewing this thread