RTR rear deck lid rust!

kingnut

Established Member
I have to get another RTR rear decklid sent to me when I get home. The first one came dented. They sent me another one and it came dented in the exact same place even worse than the first one. I was leaving for Afghanistan 3 days after I recieved the 2nd one. So I didnt have time to deal with it before I left. Hopefully the third one arrives in good shape.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Why would you make this piece out of metal to even begin with??

using a molded or injected plastic would make it much cheaper and I'm sure a shit ton lighter.

Chameleon76

Formerly Bad_302
Established Member

using a molded or injected plastic would make it much cheaper and I'm sure a shit ton lighter.

Exactly. Was interested in getting one until this post.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
CDC is a good company, I'm sure they'll handle everything well.

They are requesting it back :(

Why wouldn't they?

Economies of scale. Producing a mold to make that piece out of plastic would cost thousands (possibly upwards of $10k) Since they're not likely to sell 5,000 of them it would be that their price-per-unit would have to increase significantly to recover the initial tooling costs.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
CDC is a good company, I'm sure they'll handle everything well.

Why wouldn't they?

Economies of scale. Producing a mold to make that piece out of plastic would cost thousands (possibly upwards of $10k) Since they're not likely to sell 5,000 of them it would be that their price-per-unit would have to increase significantly to recover the initial tooling costs.

CDC deals mostly in plastic parts, so I see that easier for them to handle. Everything else they make is injected molding...

But instead they have the price of what I assume to be steel, that runs around $0.40/# then that have to spend the time either roll bending or stamped each piece of metal into that shape. Plus I don't know if that is hot formed or cold formed.

Users who are viewing this thread