rug rug rug rug noise in rear end. Diff maybe?

ponyboy03

Established Member
Well I'm at McCafferty in Langhorne PA, see what they say about it. If it's something other then a bearing I'll just take of it. Just curious if anyone had any ideas.

Michael Mendez

Established Member
hey man how did you know that the bearings were going bad I might be having this same problem. if you could elaborate on what it was doing.I would really appreciate the help.Mine makes a noise when I get around 45 mph and up. sounds like the gears are running dry or the drive shaft needs balancing.

Thanks for the help.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Well, mine aren't bad and haven't been replaced. I collect all the information I can about the maintenance of these cars, and the failure of the hub bearing is a known issue. These axle nuts have the tendency to back out. So, first things first: get a torque wrench and a 36mm deep socket and hit those bad boys! (240-250 lb-ft) If they are extremely loose, and have been that way for a while, there's a good chance your hub bearings are toast.

I have had what most call gear whine coming from my rearend ever since I purchased the car a year ago. This whine is speed dependent so it can only be linked with wheel bearings, axle bearings, or loose backspacing in the ring and pinion. It's your run of the mill high pitched whine that changes character slightly with temperature and humidity. It's at its loudest at around 50 or 60mph, before the exhaust drone drowns it out. The diff. has been drained, inspected, filled, and resealed for about 10 months with no appreciable gain in the volume of the whine.

I'm saving my knuckle and differential rebuild for when I do a full IRS overhaul. Most of the noises this car makes haven't resulted in failure, in my experience. I highly recommend Bruce (ac427cobra). He runs Full Tilt Boogie Racing and the products and services he provides are exceptional.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread