Rules and regs in your industry that negatively affect society

tistan

Established Member
My biggest gripe is people bitching about contractors running up the cost of housing, when it is local building code enforcement that is actually running up the cost. I've been building long enough to remember when we didn't have foundations that you could build the empire state building on, metal connections on every piece of framing, non arch fault breakers that worked, no UL requirements for plumbing and electric fixtures, oil base paints and stains, window U factors requirements so low that only the most high end companies can comply. The big corporate companies like Simpson, Seimens, Eaton, Kohler, Delta, etc. all pay off the building departments to enforce codes that only companies as big as them can comply. As contractors, we are then forced to accept the codes and pass on the expense to the customer for your protection. We then have to kiss some inspectors ass that has only read a book and has no understanding of actual building. Then try explaining to people, that think the building department is there to protect them from the bad contractors, that the building department is actually the one ****ing them. Guess what, if the building department misses something in the inspection, you don't get to sue the building department, but you get to pay for all of the expensive needless shit that the building department forced on you. When you really break it down, the building department is just like the mob. Everyone complains that no one is building low cost housing, but it isn't that people don't want to build it, it is impossible to build low cost anymore. The amount of ****ing paperwork is now is just insane. If I wanted this much reading and paperwork I would have went to law school. All that wasted time and cost is passed onto the consumer.

Almost forgot, the insurance that I am required to carry by the building department, now requires me to get a signed subcontractor agreement with every sub before I can hire them. I just had my attorney draw up the standard agreement, and every person I hire wants to have a ****ing legal argument about whats in it. I've had to tell people if you want it changed to your liking, you are more than welcome to pay my attorney $500 an hour to make it agreeable.

Last edited:

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
In all honesty, without government oversight, my industry would be much less safe for both employees and the public.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Red tape, 25% reimbursement for billables, allowing JC to exist.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
OP, is your area requiring blower door tests. It is a nightmare for some. I've gone through 2 with no issues. Beware!

tistan

Established Member
OP, is your area requiring blower door tests. It is a nightmare for some. I've gone through 2 with no issues. Beware!
Oh yeah, that is coming nationwide. Personally, I find a completely sealed up house to be uncomfortable.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
Oh yeah, that is coming nationwide. Personally, I find a completely sealed up house to be uncomfortable.
The last tech that did a test a couple weeks ago, also tests in DC. The requirements are twice as difficult to pass. He said less then half pass and have to do multiple tests.

RonMexico

Established Member
I install water/sewer, the amount of money mn dot wastes with all their inspectors doing absolutely nothing would blow your mind.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Yea, most people that live like oxygen. This push for a such a sealed home is stupid.

People build 3500 (or bigger) square foot homes, and they're worried about too much air leaking through to save energy?

People want cheap housing of yesterday but forget that the average home size 40 years ago was almost half of what people want now.

SHOdown220

Established Member
R1234yf Freon installed in all new cars is 10x more expensive than 134, the machines are more expensive and take twice as long to run and we find the Freon eating away at seals on compressors causing leaks leading to $2,500 repairs on relatively low mileage vehicles.

I’d be hard pressed to argue against safety features on new vehicles but they cause of lot of headaches and expensive repairs on the service side of things.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Solar buy back regulations that require utilities to pay more than they pay on the open market which just gets redistributed to everyone else. And eventually turns into income based facilities charges (Comifornia).

tistan

Established Member
I would love to hear from someone that does traffic signals. I have a theory that the only way they can **** it up so bad is because it is being done on purpose.

Fat Boss

Established Member
Not rules or regulations, but the company I work for makes the machines that make AI chips. AI could eventually replace most white collar workers, and along with robots could replace a helluva lot of blue collar workers.

Users who are viewing this thread