theraapster

Established Member
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15622266/

Bush says Rumsfeld stepping down
President taps ex-CIA chief Gates to replace embattled defense secretary
BREAKING NEWS
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 1:44 p.m. ET Nov 8, 2006

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, is resigning after six stormy years at the Pentagon, President Bush said Wednesday.

Bush said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA under the first President Bush, would be tapped to replace Rumsfeld.

The development occurred one day after midterm elections that cost Republicans control of the House, and possibly the Senate, as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic victory.

President Bush announced Rumsfeld's departure and Gates' nomination at an afternoon news conference. Administration officials notified congressional officials in advance.

Military officials and politicians dissatisfied with the course of the war had called for Rumsfeld’s resignation in the months leading up to the election. Last week, as Bush campaigned to save the Republican majority, he declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

But sources told NBC News military analyst Bill Arkin that prior to the election, Vice President Dick Cheney argued with other politicians over whether Rumsfeld should stay. White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and others argued Rumsfeld should be removed, the source said.

Rumsfeld, 74, was in his second tour of duty as defense chief. He first held the job a generation ago, when he was appointed by President Ford.

Gates is the president of Texas A&M University and a close friend of the Bush family. He served as CIA director for Bush’s father from 1991 until 1993.

Gates first joined the CIA in 1966 and served in the intelligence community for more than a quarter century, under six presidents.

His nomination must be confirmed by the Senate.

Whatever confidence Bush retained in Rumsfeld, the Cabinet officer’s support in Congress had eroded significantly. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., the House speaker-in-waiting, said at her first post-election news conference that Bush should replace the top civilian leadership at the Pentagon.

And Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who had intervened in the past to shore up Rumsfeld, issued a statement saying, “Washington must now work together in a bipartisan way — Republicans and Democrats — to outline the path to success in Iraq.”

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Didn't see it coming, but predictable. Having been in the military throughout his tenure, can't say I'm upset either. Met the man once, he's a D**Khead even to the little people. I understand he's hell to work for. I'll bet there's some dancing going on in the Pentagon, and certainly not because of election results......

Ocho Cinco
Established Member
Im glad he's gone he seemed like a crook. letme ask you, in your opinion, did he resign because he was noticing that the house turned democratic and the senate will most likely too? or did he do this because they were going to try and have him removed? Im just curious about the reason for resignation.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
theraapster said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15622266/

Bush says Rumsfeld stepping down
President taps ex-CIA chief Gates to replace embattled defense secretary
BREAKING NEWS
NBC, MSNBC and news services
Updated: 1:44 p.m. ET Nov 8, 2006

WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, architect of an unpopular war in Iraq, is resigning after six stormy years at the Pentagon, President Bush said Wednesday.

Bush said Robert Gates, former head of the CIA under the first President Bush, would be tapped to replace Rumsfeld.

The development occurred one day after midterm elections that cost Republicans control of the House, and possibly the Senate, as well. Surveys of voters at polling places said opposition to the war was a significant contributor to the Democratic victory.

President Bush announced Rumsfeld's departure and Gates' nomination at an afternoon news conference. Administration officials notified congressional officials in advance.

Military officials and politicians dissatisfied with the course of the war had called for Rumsfeld’s resignation in the months leading up to the election. Last week, as Bush campaigned to save the Republican majority, he declared that Rumsfeld would remain at the Pentagon through the end of his term.

But sources told NBC News military analyst Bill Arkin that prior to the election, Vice President Dick Cheney argued with other politicians over whether Rumsfeld should stay. White House Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and others argued Rumsfeld should be removed, the source said.

Rumsfeld, 74, was in his second tour of duty as defense chief. He first held the job a generation ago, when he was appointed by President Ford.

Gates is the president of Texas A&M University and a close friend of the Bush family. He served as CIA director for Bush’s father from 1991 until 1993.

Gates first joined the CIA in 1966 and served in the intelligence community for more than a quarter century, under six presidents.

His nomination must be confirmed by the Senate.

Whatever confidence Bush retained in Rumsfeld, the Cabinet officer’s support in Congress had eroded significantly. Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., the House speaker-in-waiting, said at her first post-election news conference that Bush should replace the top civilian leadership at the Pentagon.

And Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, who had intervened in the past to shore up Rumsfeld, issued a statement saying, “Washington must now work together in a bipartisan way — Republicans and Democrats — to outline the path to success in Iraq.”

Honestly all I have to say is HELL YA. I am a republican, but I despise Rumsfeld. My entire family is a military family, at least on the male side. My dad was in the navy for 20 years, both grandfathers fought in WW2 and Korea and so on. He is doing a poor job, and the reserves are crumbling. For instance the Navy reserves have been gutted of good commanders, and many reserve bases have been shut down, and Rumsfeld has actually sold back many bases around the world back to the countries they are in. Those bases were also important strategic points too. Just saying, he helped rip out many supports of the reserves and isn't doing a great job with the active duty either, I mean.. Iraq...c'mon. Our military is kinda teetering on a few stilts, as compared to sturdy supports, at least the internal systems are. Please just take my word for it, lol, I'm not in the mood to repull all this up :-D

Mo Boost

Sunshine on the Darkside
Established Member
Glad to hear Rumsfeld is gone.

Policy needs to change .... I hope the next guy can listen to the military leadership and re-arrange the way the conflict is being managed. Fewer conventional troops and more Special Ops.
There is too much "tail" and not enough "teeth" with our forces, and more emphasis should be put on training Iraqis to take responsibility.

OCSnk

NowIESnk
Established Member
Gates, another civilian who has no real experience with the military. Two years in the AF…..:shrug:

That said, in terms of civilians, at least he was a distinguished Intelligence Officer of some sort, which means he might have a clue... maybe... I hope. His civilian awards and education are top notch, so at least he has those going for him as well.

We’ll see:coolman:

Got5onIt

Mean Green Nation
Established Member
image said:
Im glad he's gone he seemed like a crook. letme ask you, in your opinion, did he resign because he was noticing that the house turned democratic and the senate will most likely too? or did he do this because they were going to try and have him removed? Im just curious about the reason for resignation.

Dems may have been coming for him, but I think this was a result of pressure from other Republicans. It's obvious America is displeased with the situation in Iraq and Rumsfeld is known to be the biggest Cog in the Iraq War machine. Repubs are trying to save face and pick themselves up after that "haymaker" delivered last night by the Dems. Rumsfeld is the easiest and most visible target.
:coolman:

Mo Boost said:

Policy needs to change .... I hope the next guy can listen to the military leadership and re-arrange the way the conflict is being managed. Fewer conventional troops and more Special Ops.
There is too much "tail" and not enough "teeth" with our forces, and more emphasis should be put on training Iraqis to take responsibility.

The next clown to replace him won't do the sensible thing or what was the sensible thing when guerilla tactics and roadside bombs were being used against our troops. BOMB THE ENTIRE SUNNI TRIANGLE!!!! Won't happen with the next 'know nothing about war.'

Mo Boost said:

The next clown to replace him won't do the sensible thing or what was the sensible thing when guerilla tactics and roadside bombs were being used against our troops. BOMB THE ENTIRE SUNNI TRIANGLE!!!! Won't happen with the next 'know nothing about war.'

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Socom688 said:
and many reserve bases have been shut down, and Rumsfeld has actually sold back many bases around the world back to the countries they are in. Those bases were also important strategic points too.
No offense to your post or point, but I thought that was all because of the BRAC committee.

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
SickBlackMach said:
No offense to your post or point, but I thought that was all because of the BRAC committee.

Of course I know that, but Rumsfeld was all for it, and liked the idea. Could have done something :shrug:. I just don't like to see our only line of defense against threatening nations dwindle down and essentially unthread itself.

Last edited:

chrisdf_382

Banned
Lol

its definately not a good thing to do it...because our enemies feed that with positive energy...

but here is my out take of it :beer: :pepper: :-D :coolman: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread