Run-in with a GTO

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I don't know the guy I raced, because I left the Freeway at the exit to get to where we were going, but if anyone on this forum knows of a GTO with a Magnacharger in the Vista (Northern San Diego County), California area, let him know about this post, thanks. Now for the run:

My wife and I were out for Christmas breakfast at the local I-Hop and were headed home when I pull up to a left-turn light to get on the Freeway. As I sit there a late model GTO pulls up to the right of me, both of us sitting first at the light with nobody behind us. I look over and this GTO has a MAGNACHARGER emblem above the GTO badging on the drivers side fenderwell, so I'm thinking this guy, who looks to be in his late 20s, might want to show up my stock looking and sounding 405hp Z06 (it's not stock). We both take the turn normally, and then when the merge lane (3 cars wide) straightens out, I punch it and row through the gears, hitting the rev limiter at the top of 3rd. By the time I hit the freeway we're doing about 100 mph and the guy has been sitting right at my rear bumper the whole time. If it wasn't for the jump that I took, the roles might be reversed, so he has a very quick GTO. Oh, I *think* it's silver colored, like my Z06, and the MAGNACHARGER emblem is red.

I wanted to give the guy a thumbs up, but my clutch pedal stuck to the floor at 100 mph :uh oh:, and I was trying to get the pedal pulled up and shift into 4th while merging onto the Freeway, so the guy probably thinks I'm the "typical" Vette owner who wouldn't give him props, since I was busy with the clutch pedal and didn't look over as he passed me ;-) . I tried to catch up after we settled down to cruising speed, but there were too many cars and my exit was coming up fast, so I didn't push it. But it was really close, and a lot of fun. :coolman:

It was a nice looking car, and I think he had 2 people with him, and like I said, I think it would have been reversed, with me behind the whole time, had we gone with 3 honks. Right now the rev limiter on my car is set to 6K because it starts to lean out above that rpm and will be re-tuned after I get a KB BAP installed. Based on the dyno graph of my original tune, at 6K I'm sitting at 480 rwhp with my S-Trim, so I'm guessing he was around the same with his PD blower. Oh, the funny part was that my wife, after I slow down to 70 mph, said "oh, that was fun" but didn't realize we had been racing... she thought I was just merging really quickly.:D

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
I think it was silver, but I'm not sure. I'm guessing that there aren't many GTO's with a Magnusson in the Vista, Ca area.

mlccar

SVT Poster
Established Member
Smoke Them if you Have them

I have not heard this since before 1979. This is an expression that Submariners used to use. Are you an ex-bubblehead?

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
Nope, not an ex-bubblehead, but I do work with many of them in commercial power.

LS1Mike

F-body whore
Established Member
mlccar said:
I have not heard this since before 1979. This is an expression that Submariners used to use. Are you an ex-bubblehead?
Not to highjack, but are you an ex-bubble head?

Nice run!
Did anything happen to the Clutch?

Nuke61

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
LS1Mike said:
Not to highjack, but are you an ex-bubble head?
Nice run!
Did anything happen to the Clutch?
See above... not an ex-bubble head, although I work with enough ex-bubble heads that it's probably where I got the phrase.

This seems to be a common LSx clutch issue, so I replaced the old (dark) clutch fluid. If it continues to be a problem is an open question... the clutch disk seems to hold O.K. and it's just a matter of the marginal GM hydraulics.

Thanks for the reply :pepper:

KYLightning02

Established Member
nice kill man i have always liked the z06's over the GTO's..so your clutch got stuck shew thats a chevy for ya lol just playen man nice car by the way..:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread