Running 6.5 - 7 quarts of oil

01 Venom said:
This is my theory also, I just dont understand how so many people come on here claiming they have spun rod bearings.

Do you honestly think that guys on here are making up stories about having to pull their motors due to a knock coming from a rod bearing? :rollseyes I'll tell you this, there are substantially less Terminator owners that had their motor fail due to rod bearing failure.

Last edited:

01 Venom

Established Member
no of course not, I believe people are having issues, I just want to understand why. I dont want to be so quick to blame the oil pan when it may be something else you can do.

Because lets face it, replacing the oil Pan just to prevent a possible rod bearing failure sux. You cant just go ahead and swap it with out a ton of work.

Why do the terminators have less issues? Is there pan different? I wasnt aware that it was.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
well, at high rpm, the oil pump is moving a huge amount of oil, and the drain holes are just too small. So eventually, its possible that you can start to starve the pump, but that would have to be sustained high revs.

Also, debris in the oil or on the oil pump pickup could cause spun bearings.

regardless, I think the main issue is that people are not putting enough oil into their cars.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Interesting point about the terminator.

I believe they have less issues, because they don't have to rev the car as much.

They have a lower redline, an the eaton starts to tucker out at the very top of the rev range. Therefore, people aren't revving these things like crazy. On top of that, it has enough bottom end torque, so that you don't have to rev to to 3500rpm in each gear just to get the car moving.

That, in addition to there being more "garage queens" with low miles, and anal retentive owners who won't let the car get wet, much less have the oil drop below the max line by one drop, contribute to the lower failure rate in my mind.

Oh, and the other thing is that their iron blocks don't move as much in the main cap areas. With our aluminum blocks expanding so much, if someone revs their car when cold, the bearing clearance may not be optimal, and that may eventually cause enough wear on the bearing to cause it to spin.

01 Venom

Established Member
Dude I am with quad 100% on this whole issue. Quad you are making very good points here.

My question still stands, is the oil pan different on a terminator?

Users who are viewing this thread