Running Catless and the smell

Longtubes

Established Member
Cars Catless. Now my question is do you guys that are catless experience this as well?

1. Slight soot looking imprint above tail pipes on bumper after revving or WOT hard, nothing major just a stain or two

2. Rich smell in car when heater is blowing or overall under WOT or idling, but mainly worst when heater is blowing (not AC)

3. Sometimes a slight burnt smell or like a burnt oil smell when pushing hard (which I attribute to the richness of running catless)

Honestly, car knock on wood, runs great. Oil is still rather clean and getting changed soon, Idle is solid at about 750 rpms, all vac lines are good that I can see and were replaced, iac valve is clean and works, tps volts are set, throttle body butterfly is where it should be, clean maf, everythings pretty clean and maintained. Just wonderin.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
When my 2012 mustang had an offroad X on it, the car never really had any black soot on the exhaust tips. I use E85 in it now so it definitely won't have any of that shit on the tips.

I did get an exhaust smell when I started my car in the garage though.

Do you have a tune on the car or those MIL eliminators?

Longtubes

Established Member
No CEL so it was shut off , I run 93 octane and it has a 93 tune. It might even be from when the car was running rich back in the summer, was just curious. It's not bad at all, just a little soot mark on each side.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
oh shit you have the chipped 97'. Should have known that from your other thread. Like said before, i'd get an actual handheld tuner/tune for the car. That will get your tune dialed in and you won't be running so rich.

Longtubes

Established Member
If I was running so rich tho wouldnt it be running like crap? Its got good acceleration through all gears, no hesitation etc.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Maybe "so rich" wasn't the right choice of words to use. You may be running a little richer than necessary, not a whole lot but enough for you to notice the small things like you listed above. Running a little rich won't hurt anything, your car will still have power. My 2012 is running on the rich side and it still is pretty damn quick.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Time for some MIL eliminators or shutting off the rear o2s in the tune, that would probably help clean things up

Longtubes

Established Member
You guys mean to tell me theres no rich smell with running catless? I thought that was unanimous.

Adiabatik

Banned

Then waste time in making this thread? I don't give a shit who agree's with you or not. I've had a catless exhaust for almost 5 years and there has never been any fuel smell. There were also just as many people saying that there wasn't any smell.

Your car is running like shit. Don't come here looking for justification otherwise

I cant stand mustangs noobs who seem to think they know better......

Last edited:

Longtubes

Established Member
Then waste time in making this thread? I don't give a shit who agree's with you or not. I've had a catless exhaust for almost 5 years and there has never been any fuel smell. There were also just as many people saying that there wasn't any smell.

Your car is running like shit. Don't come here looking for justification otherwise

I cant stand mustangs noobs who seem to think they know better......

Whoa where'd that come from? I said I found my answer right around the time you guys helped me with your answers. I didn't say yours was bad, just that I always heard otherwise and some of the posts confirmed it. You actually seem to be in the minority, most people notice a smell. Must depend on different configurations, but there is a smell for some people (myself included).

Who said my car runs like shit? I stated above it runs great, pulls through all gears hard with no lag or bucking, and idle is fantastic. Maybe the correct word for the smell is "rich" or just "different". Thats obviously from running catless. My car does NOT smell like raw fuel or raw gas. It just has a muscle smell to it. Could be your particular tuner, maybe I'm going to keep working on it but no reason for that attitude.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I think what adiabatik is saying is that this has been done for years there's plenty of reading on it already with a quick google search. I've never really noticed a smell with my catless mid pipes, I've had all 3 varieties.

Longtubes

Established Member
I understand to a point kleech, but if everyone relied on google, what would be the point of these forums? I research alot on google car wise, helps alot no doubt, but some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt. The forum post or article could've been written by a 18 year old guy that doesn't know much.

Somehow I trust the members on here alittle more, hence why I came to you guys for some help. I appreciate all your help either way.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
I have none of the things mentioned in original post.

Even after 100k miles of beat down.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I understand to a point kleech, but if everyone relied on google, what would be the point of these forums? I research alot on google car wise, helps alot no doubt, but some of it has to be taken with a grain of salt. The forum post or article could've been written by a 18 year old guy that doesn't know much.

Somehow I trust the members on here alittle more, hence why I came to you guys for some help. I appreciate all your help either way.

Majority of the time most of the things you search for that are mustang related on google comes back with a result from this forum with something that has already been discussed.

And I'm just a 23 year old guy that doesn't know much either :coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread