running hot.

dannyboy76

93 teal black cloth #2853
Established Member
ok heres the scoop! i put a motor in my car until i can get the "big" motor done. 93 5.0 (not cobra) with e-cam, 1.7 cobra rockers, trickflow street intake, high flow water pump, vortech s-trim, and full msd ignition, 24lbs injectors, and mac equal length header with mac cat pipe. the headers are used and so is the cat pipe. the problems are as follows

1. car runs hot! right on the red with my electric fan screaming away. but doesnt seem to overheat.

2. vacuum is steady at around 19inches seems kinda low.

3. boost sucks! my stock cobra motor made around 10lbs. i have changed a couple things since like an afm power pipe. 3.15 pulley (was 3.33) and this motor only sees about 8lbs. WTF.

4. a very odd high pitch "ringing" noise at idle i can here it over the supercharger.

im pulling whats left of my hair out over this. any suggestions please.

dannyboy76

Established Member
ya kinda what I was thinkin tryed burbin the system couple of times.. the gauge worked great before.. kinda strange that it shit out at the time it did. also it will idle all day with the fan on and never even get warm. if you rev it under load it gets hot quick and wont cool off.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
One thing you might check is the 10 pin connector. I had one with a bad connection and it had similar problems. I disconnected it a few times to clean up the post for a better connection.

Otherwise it seems to me you might have a blown head gasket.

Boost wise.... you will loose boost pressure with an engine that breathes better. If you made 10 psi on a stock motor. One with cam, intake etc will make less pressure but have better volume.

Did you make sure the electric fan is running the right direction? It should be pulling air through the radiator. If you happened to wire it backwards after the motor swap it could be blowing now.... which would cause it to run hot while driving but would run decently cool at idle.

dannyboy76

Established Member
fan is definally pulling air thru the right direction. checked it today and it sucked a bunch of coolant down so hopefully it just had an air pocket. i know all about the cam and intake better flow ect. but i figured with the power pipe and the crappy e7 heads i should be a little higher.. how different is the e303 from the stock cobra cam?

dannyboy76

Established Member
well rechecked it out today took it out to get coffee.. it pushes a lot of coolant into the resevoir and "bubbles" and shakes. cools off very quickly when shut off. sucks all the coolant right back into the radiator. ahhhhhhh possible thermostat? it will work ok for awhile and then get hot. it definetly isnt overheating just very hot.

dannyboy76

Established Member
~Ray~ said:
If you got bubbling in the overflow you probably blew a head gaskets.
if i ignore it will it go away? :-D this car is in the big piss off stage with me right now.. should of put a zipper on the damn thing.. the thing is it runs really good, kinda strange for a blon head gasket isnt it?

~Ray~

Established Member
Well most refer to a blown headgasket as a leaking one. Yes if it was blown it'd be running like shit , what you probably got is a melted gasket path between the combustion chamber & coolant hole wich is more common then blown & is very common with blown motors.

Drive it a few days you'll probably notice the coolant dissapearing or your low coolant light coming on.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
dannyboy76 said:
well rechecked it out today took it out to get coffee.. it pushes a lot of coolant into the resevoir and "bubbles" and shakes. cools off very quickly when shut off. sucks all the coolant right back into the radiator. ahhhhhhh possible thermostat? it will work ok for awhile and then get hot. it definetly isnt overheating just very hot.
Hate to break it to you, but it's a HG.

BTW, what kind of efan are you running?

dannyboy76

Established Member
ok tryied a new tstat..... it was better for about 10minutes... off come the heads..................... :cuss: :fm:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
On a side note - I don't know which flexalite fan you are running, but it is VERY possible that it doesn't have enough airflor to cool your car, which could have contributed to your HG problem...

dannyboy76

Established Member
93Cobra#2771 said:
On a side note - I don't know which flexalite fan you are running, but it is VERY possible that it doesn't have enough airflor to cool your car, which could have contributed to your HG problem...
shouldnt even need the fan while just cruzing at 50mph on a country road. today is the day.. ill let everyone know what i find.

dannyboy76

Established Member
yep it was a head gasket, drivers side, small burn from firering to the cooling pasage, steam hole, above the combustion chamber. just got back from the test drive, saw the shift light in second gear and never got above half gauge without ever turning the fan on.

Users who are viewing this thread