Running rich, input appreciated

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Hello, I have a 98 Cobra stroker with 11.5 CR, B-heads, FRPP Cams. with < 3000 miles on the motor.

My problem is that the car runs rich during driving/idle and when I dynoed the car the AF was 10:1. WAYYY FAT.

There is a layer of deposit on the tailpipes and you can smell the fuel in the exhaust.

The car uses no oil at all, I have a oil seperator on the PCV system and NEVER get any oil in it either so I don't think that the deposit is from oil at all.

I have had the timing at 10* stock to ward of any detonation till I finally get the car tuned. I had an appt with Doug from BAMA chips but he had to cancel at the last minute, no fault of his though. I'm trying to reschedule but work is hectic.

Anyway, I'm thinking my timing might be part of the cause of the car running rich. Any suggestions on what I should set the timing at for the meantime?

I don't have an ajustable FPR, but I do have a predator. When making changes to the fuel when I had it dynoed, it had zero affect on the AF ratio. Diablosport said that their tune will not work for the stroker motor.

Thanks for any info.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Yeah, hopefully I hear from him before I ship the car. I'm going to pull the plugs this week and see if they are fouled from everything. In the meantime I bumped the timing to 14* and will monitor with the predator for knock. I don't drive the car hard because I haven't gotten the tune so I'm looking for knock on tip-in/ part throttle.

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Well, 14* is a no go with 93 octane. I knocked it back down to 12 and everything sounds fine.

As far as the tune goes, it looks like everything is set up for this Friday. Wish me luck.

I'm hoping for a 20-25 hp gain from last time of 288hp 300ft/lbs

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
Well, I got the tune, but not the results I was hoping for.
The base run was 282 hp. That is less than last time but different day, temps, humidity etc.

The AF was still 10:1. After some tuning it went to 292hp and 309tq @ a 13.5 AFR

Not as much of a gain as I was hoping for but at least I know the tune is good to go and I don't have to worry about toasting the motor. Drivablility is better than with the diablosport tune; not that I sensed hesitation before the tune, but now the throttle response is very crisp.

I feel pretty good about shipping the car back to Germany now.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I here you on lower hp numbers but if it is safe to run and fun to drive it's not all bad. How long do you plan on being in Germany?

workmangc

Stay away from SHM.
Established Member
I here you on lower hp numbers but if it is safe to run and fun to drive it's not all bad. How long do you plan on being in Germany?
At least 3 years, I've only been back here in the U.S. for about 2 years from a previous stint in Germany.

Love it over there and I'm looking forward to going back!

Users who are viewing this thread