Running rich

jbou91

Established Member
I recently got my car worked on, while my car was at the shop I had them tighten up the mac prochamber. Ever since picking it up it runs rich over 5k rpm during WOT only, dropping to like 10.5 af/r.

Was tightening the mid pipe what changed my tune? Or is something else going on? I spoke to my tuner and they said I'd just have to come in for a re-tune. I want to make sure its just the tune not something else, and not just band aiding it by re-tuning it if there is some issue.

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
First question is, where is your wide band o2? It's definitely possible that a loose joint in your exhaust was allowing a small amount of fresh air in, skewing your a/f reading lean. Then once it was fixed, it would read richer.

The second question is, what did the tuner use as his a/f reference? If he used your wideband, then things can definitely be off.

jbou91

Established Member
First question is, where is your wide band o2? It's definitely possible that a loose joint in your exhaust was allowing a small amount of fresh air in, skewing your a/f reading lean. Then once it was fixed, it would read richer.

The second question is, what did the tuner use as his a/f reference? If he used your wideband, then things can definitely be off.

It is located where the left front o2 sensor should be.

The shop I had it at ran it on their dyno, I have the dyno sheet showing where it goes rich. I could post it later if you would like to see. My wideband was reading ridiculous numbers that's why I had him check it out, to confirm it wasn't just my wideband.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've never heard of people putting wideband sensor in one of the front o2 sensor locations. From my understanding those front o2 sensors are needed, while the rears can be turned off.

jbou91

Established Member
I've never heard of people putting wideband sensor in one of the front o2 sensor locations. From my understanding those front o2 sensors are needed, while the rears can be turned off.

My fault it is the rear. Rears are turned off as you said.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

Ok gotcha. I've been dealing with my sensor not working correctly I believe. I ordered a new one but it's going to be months before I can test it.

03slaminator

Established Member
I'm not trying to thread jack here. But My wideband just stopped working. It was working fine one day and then all the sudden it started reading all crazy from 7.4-21.9 back and forth back and forth. Then it finally just stays on 7.4 and don't move. I crawled under the car and my sensor was half screwed out. I thightened it up and it still does the samething. I don't have a clue what's going on. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new sensor.

jbou91

Established Member
Ok gotcha. I've been dealing with my sensor not working correctly I believe. I ordered a new one but it's going to be months before I can test it.

How old is your sensor? I was told they should be changed every year...

I'm not trying to thread jack here. But My wideband just stopped working. It was working fine one day and then all the sudden it started reading all crazy from 7.4-21.9 back and forth back and forth. Then it finally just stays on 7.4 and don't move. I crawled under the car and my sensor was half screwed out. I thightened it up and it still does the samething. I don't have a clue what's going on. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new sensor.

Sounds like the sensor is bad, as I said it should be replaced every year.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
How old is your sensor? I was told they should be changed every year...

Sounds like the sensor is bad, as I said it should be replaced every year.

Really? Never heard that. Mine is probably 3 years old. It seemed to work fine for most of this summer. I even got new remote tunes done using my wideband. I do have a new one that I need to put in come spring. Car is stored for winter now.

jbou91

Established Member
Really? Never heard that. Mine is probably 3 years old. It seemed to work fine for most of this summer. I even got new remote tunes done using my wideband. I do have a new one that I need to put in come spring. Car is stored for winter now.

Yeah according to the shop I took my car to. Said it gets covered in soot and throws the readings off. Typically the sensor will just read all wack, either all rich or all lean of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread