Running sticky tires w/ stock halfshafts, clutch ? too

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Vrrooom
toofast4u,
What kind of suspension setup do you have to get rid of wheel hop? To me thats more important then having hop and aftermarket halfshafts, so Id like to start on that 'project'.

I have a full Maximum Motorsports suspension on my car. The main thing that needs to be done for straight line performance IMO is as follows.
1) Replace the stock IRS assembly bushings with MM polyurethane units and install 14mm bolts in the front mounts instead of the stock 12mm bolts which have way to much play.
2) Replace the stock pinion #4 differential bushing with the Steeda polyurethane units.
3) Install a good full-length subframe connector like the MM or GRC pieces.
4) Go with a high dampening shock I have 00R spec Bilstein.
5) Install a higher wheel rate spring configuration and lower the rear of the car at least 1". I have coil-over 650# springs and my rear is over 1.25" lower then stock.
6) Install some real tires. I run Nitto 555R in 315 @ 26 psi daily.

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by amwalker
how much wheel hop and how quickly did they snap after you felt/heard the hop?
I'd say about 2 seconds after it started hopping. I was just about to ease up when it happened.

I had no idea wheel hop causes the halfshafts to snap. If I did, I would let off the instant my car would hop. I always said wheel hop sounds like your car is gonna break. Little did I know, it is true.

wjfawb0

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your car vipergts281. I am searching through threads right now learning about traction issues. Since I got the pulley and tune 1st and 2nd gear are pretty useless on the street. You have to work the gas pedal to keep from spinning or hopping.

I feel like most here do. No wheel hop = no broken half-shafts. Of course dropping the clutch at 5000 on slicks could probably do it too. I am seriously considering the differential bushings, irs bushings, 14mm bolts, subframes and new wheels and tires for my cobra to prevent the breakage. I'd like to go full coil over, but I can't justify the cost right now. Being a daily driver I have to consider how well drag radials are going to take the cold 30 degree winter temps. I can't do a burnout every morning before I head off to work. :(

I have decided I can't handle any other mods yet because the power I have now is too dangerous with my current lack of traction. In a tight race, I imagine my car would look very similar to the one that keeps on losing in the 1/4 to the E55 Mercedes. The power is there, I just can't use it. :cuss:

-Jason

Silver 03 Cobra

I snapped the driver's side half shaft shifing into second with zero wheel hop. I over revved in first plus the track was slick since some oil was laid down off the line. When I over revved to 7k and then hit the good part of the track when I hit second the tires stuck and popped the shaft. It didn't come close to wheel hop. I had 150 passes previously and wore out two sets of ET Streets with a 1.52 60 ft. best.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
I watched my buddy side step his clutch from 6k with et steets all season long. He let me borrow them and I did the same. Like I said Im not saying it will hold up forever but he has 50 passes doing exactly what you said not to do. I really think wheel hop is what does it. Just look at Petes old car. Yeah I know it was an auto and all but he was putting a lot of power to the ground. Just for thought.
:beer:

What 60' have you and your buddy netted with this launch?

Jerry

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by Jerryk
What 60' have you and your buddy netted with this launch?

Jerry

My best was a 1.76. That was the first time I ever used anything other than street tires. I know there was more in it but not sure how much, Im still learning. I think his best is a 1.81 but he has a spec 3 and no pulley. Not sure if that makes it harder for him because he cant slip the clutch like I do with my stock clutch.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Wow I would have thought that if the tires were planting and the clutch wasn't slipping that you would be in the 1.6 range consistently. You sure the clutch isn't slipping? Is your sway bar disconnected? Could also be the tires spinning on the rims.. dunno but again for that risk I would want low 1.6 times for that much effort. Thanks for the info! I was running 1.85 60' times on ET streets with a 4000rpm and releasing (vs. sidestepping) the clutch method but even that was too much for the stock clutch, it was slipping on the line and in 3rd gear (1/8th mile track).

Users who are viewing this thread