Running sticky tires w/ stock halfshafts, clutch ? too

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
I've been trying to read up and figure out just how strong our halfshafts are. my 99 had the worst ever. I broke them just spinning in 2nd. However, in the 03s, I've heard of people running ET streets and drag radials and not breaking them, while still running mid 11 sec ETs, and then I hear of people breaking them on stock tires. Im at the point that Id really like to run drag radials since I have no traction and would like to get a mid 11 et, but I don't want to snap the halfshafts since it is also my daily driver and dont want to or can deal with the downtime.

As far as the clutch goes, what kind of power does it hold up to? Im only running a 2.80 upper pulley and chip, but after a few hard runs, the clutch feels a little soft and smells a little and needs time to cool down to feel normal again. Is this close to its max capacity, or is that just how they are? I was looking into the SPEC Clutches as I had it on my old Cobra and liked it. Any suggestions on this as well?

Last edited:

VENOMOUS03COBRA

Established Member
you have to run drag radials at your own risk. there is no saying weather or not the shafts will break. i have probably 40 passes on dr's and havent had a shaft break yet. the clutch is starting to slip though, but due to alot of abuse. some people broke theres on f1's like you said, so its really all a gamble . if you want an 11 , you have to take the chance. good luck.

p.s. you'll love taken off like a maniac and not spinning. its alot of fun. 4000 rpms and launch!!!

Steel City

Banned
My best time was with et streets. Im not saying the irs will hold up forever but the irs never felt better with them on. After using them I will never run my car at the track again until I get some or at least DR's. As far as the clutch, who knows. Some people have lots of miles and passes with the stock clutch trouble free. I have 4k miles and I am on my 2nd clutch....

cobra101

Established Member
vvroomm, quick questions...

OT:

Are you inded running 2.80 and chip only? NO exhaust mods? CAI? do you have idlers for that 2.80? what size belt?

I have CAI and want to add a 2.80 or 2.93 (w/predator) and leave exhaust stock. I hear the 2.80 and predator can run lean but I should be alright becuase of the stock exhaust.

Just curious if that is close to your setup. I don't see many runnning CAI, chip, pulley and NO exahsut mods.

as fars as DR's I love mine and have no problems with the rear yet (crossing fingers for the next 100,000 miles). They do suck in the rain though and even seem to "shimmy" the car around a bit when it is wet outside. Dry conditions they rock. I do get pebbles and shit rattling in the wheel wells, these tires pick up everything (sticky sticky).

DR's did not help my 60ft time though :( maybe I just suck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steel City

Banned
Re: vvroomm, quick questions...

Originally posted by crazycobra
DR's did not help my 60ft time though :( maybe I just suck.

They will once you learn how to use them. It just takes some getting used to that all.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
The whole thing with breaking half shafts is tied with wheel hop. I have been running Nitto 555R 315s which are drag radials on my daily driver with KB at 17#s for over 6k miles without any problem. Due to my suspension set-up I don't have any wheel hop. If you replace your clutch to a stronger one you will most likely break your input shaft. I am more concerned with breaking the transmission input shaft then half shafts. There are some companies now that make the 26-spline GM and Viper input shafts for our car which is substantially stronger then the 10-spline Ford unit. If you are doing a clutch upgrade I highly recommend upgrading the input shaft at the same time.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I could really care less about the street and how the car hooks, I know its gonna spin and there isnt much I can do about it. I feel it start to spin and hop I pedal it and that usually cures the hop.

As far as track. I have had multiple 1.6x 60ft times on stock halfshafts and 275/40/17 BFG DR's @ 15psi. Most of these guys who are snapping halfshafts are sidesteppin the clutch. You have to slip the clutch and reduce the amount of shock enduced on the driveline.

I expect to break some, but if thats the price I have to pay right now and maybe 1-2 halfshafts per racing season. I'll do that anyday to retain an awesome ride.

On a sidenote I have broke one halfshaft but I hit a pothole when it broke, it wasnt at the track.

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by broke7
Most of these guys who are snapping halfshafts are sidesteppin the clutch. You have to slip the clutch and reduce the amount of shock enduced on the driveline.

I watched my buddy side step his clutch from 6k with et steets all season long. He let me borrow them and I did the same. Like I said Im not saying it will hold up forever but he has 50 passes doing exactly what you said not to do. I really think wheel hop is what does it. Just look at Petes old car. Yeah I know it was an auto and all but he was putting a lot of power to the ground. Just for thought.
:beer:

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
vrooom, go to amazon racing, get your new halfshafts, put them in and go to the track with no worries and get that mid 11!!!!

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Originally posted by Steel City
I watched my buddy side step his clutch from 6k with et steets all season long. He let me borrow them and I did the same. Like I said Im not saying it will hold up forever but he has 50 passes doing exactly what you said not to do. I really think wheel hop is what does it. Just look at Petes old car. Yeah I know it was an auto and all but he was putting a lot of power to the ground. Just for thought.
:beer:

wow very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Might have to try that next year. 6k dumps on anything is a bit crazy though. I do agree wheelhop tears em up quick.

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by broke7
wow very nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Might have to try that next year. 6k dumps on anything is a bit crazy though. I do agree wheelhop tears em up quick.

I also forgot to mention he has a spec 3

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
I've always drag raced cars with automatic transmissions. They are very consistent and that is a must when bracket racing. Please explaint side stepping the clutch. I'm thinking you are talking about dumping the clutch at high RPM's but want to be sure. The best 60' I could get the one time I went to the track was a 2.104 on F1's at 24 psi. I REALLY want to drop that to about 1.6 60'

Steel City

Banned
Originally posted by esqeddy
I've always drag raced cars with automatic transmissions. They are very consistent and that is a must when bracket racing. Please explaint side stepping the clutch. I'm thinking you are talking about dumping the clutch at high RPM's but want to be sure. The best 60' I could get the one time I went to the track was a 2.104 on F1's at 24 psi. I REALLY want to drop that to about 1.6 60'

Basicly cranking up the rpm's and sliding your foot off the clutch real quick.

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Woah, I missed alot. Sorry but I've been "away" all weekend, but Im back now :)

crazycobra,
I am running a 2.80 upper and superchip tuned for that setup. Running it with a 74 5/8 Napa/Gates belt w/o slip and no idler pulleys. Everything else is stock, and Im eventually going to upgrade the exhaust but I want to be as stealthy as I can for as long as I can (hence doing pulley, chip, etc first). (Decent amount of street racing). Plus I like being kinda quiet and still being able to haul ass, its saved me from the cops quite a few times.

toofast4u,
What kind of suspension setup do you have to get rid of wheel hop? To me thats more important then having hop and aftermarket halfshafts, so Id like to start on that 'project'.

broke7,
How do you usually launch your Cobra? I was thinking of just letting the clutch out fast at 2200, that way it wouldnt put too much stress on the halfshafts, but at the same time gets you out of the hole. Trying to get a feel of what these halfshafts can handle.

00SVTdubs,
I just got my car about 3 weeks back, so Im not ready to upgrade the halfshafts yet... I want to do suspension and cure the wheel hop before going into that venture. But definitely something on my list of 'to do'.

Thanks for all the replies, w/ enough brainstorming we can figure out the limit of the halfshafts and finally get some awesome times out of our 03s! :beer:

amwalker

the wrench
Established Member
15,000 miles on a vert, full griggs gr-40 setup, 2.80, predator tune, cold air cover, bassani x, magna flows w/ et streets and stock clutch.

this weekend alone about 18 passes on the car, all on the et streets.

my best et was a 12.14 @114 (at lacr in so cal...palmdale) and all my 60 fts were in the 1.7 range. the clutch is starting to go away, well, has been for a little while now, but it still holds with my 5000-5500 rpm launches! (knock on wood)

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Yup...just like Amwalker said...they have been doing it all seaons long with out breaking any thing :beer:

Sonic Venum has even tried the ET Streets with a 5000k drop & his is holding up just fine.

I ran BFG DR's for 22 passes so far at the track with out any issue's.

:knocking on wood:

:thumbsup:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I heat the tires up pretty good during the burnout.

I usually leave the line at about 4000-4300 depending on the track prep and slip the clutch out pretty quick. Ive 60ft'd many 1.6's and a best of 1.64, and havent broke a halfshaft yet.

vipergts281

Established Member
My car has 5,600 miles on it. The halfshafts just broke over the weekend. Started to accelerate and got some wheel hop, then heard a loud noise. I just got off of the phone with Ford. They are going to take a look at it. And the only way I can get a rental car is if I go down to the dealer where my car is at. But I can't considering it is 45 minutes away and I have no one that can take me. So now I am missing a day of work which obviously means I am not making money today. :mj:

While it is in for fixing the halfshaft, I told them to fix the other things........vibe, tick, pop, radio does not work right, suede on driver seat came out of its seam, clunk when going up an incline.

I've only had the car 2 months and it has caused me nothing but headaches. :rolleyes:

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
vrooon,

the amazon 03 ran all year on the stock half shafts. we never upgraded to our hardened ones because we never broke a stock one. the biggest problem on these cars with snapping half shafts is wheel hop. our car is running a 315 BFG drag radial. not sure what all is done to reduce wheel hop. ill talk to rick tonight and check on that.

as for the clutch. we ran the stock clutch all year but bowling green the clutch finally gave out. the car has 502 RWHP. linn is bring it out of the whole at about 4500 RPM on the BFG's. and it took all year to kill the clutch. so the stock clutch should be good for a lil while.

hope this helps.

Derek

Users who are viewing this thread